"We are what we believe we are."
C.S. Lewis

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Spring Fling: Brora's Tweed Coat

Brora Textured Weave Coat
With shiny black heels and a black dress.
 The second I spotted this Brora coat during their early spring preview I was sent right into Frock La-La Land: visions of outfits danced in my head.
As you know I've been refining my wardrobe steadily these last few months and a few key ideas remained: a black dress or three for going out in the evening, one pair of fancy black heels (The Kate Spade black patent "Talia" heel, shown above) and a new bag from Smythson, purchased for going out at night and for conservative events.
It seemed that the Brora coat was the piece to tie it all together.  I became quite preoccupied with the idea of it.
Then I wandered over to the consignment shop that does such a good job selling the things I no longer wear.  What was waiting for me?  A cheque in the exact amount of the price of the coat, including the shipping.  Well clearly it was meant to be, there's no argument over it.

The coat has a vintage feel with a trimmed peter pan collar and three-quarter sleeves.  Since I plan to wear this coat all through the spring, when undoubtedly it will still be chilly, I'll need to cover the exposed bits of my arms with some elbow-length gloves.
 I bought these gloves last year on a J.Crew sale and they are really excellent.  Constructed of a black leather they are lined in silk, which is warm enough yet doesn't restrict the wearing of the gloves to winter.
I'm planning to wear the coat with the gloves, the Kate Spade shoes, and a black dress.  The finishing touch is the Smythson handbag.
The Smythson handbag has matching blue stitching.
 The coat was seemingly made for the Smythson bag.  The bits of Smythson blue stitching on the bag echo the blue in the tweed, it's a vibrant yet classic blue.

The Smythson handbag even has a navy blue satin lining.
The navy blue lining of the Smythson bag.
 I'll have several occasions to haul out the coat to wear with a black dress, but I can also see the coat worn during the day, still dressed up yet not quite so serious.

The coat, though trimmed in black, also looks great with navy.
The coat with some navy Brooks Brothers loafers.
 Much as the coat could be worn with a casual tonal black outfit (think black sweater, cropped black pants and a black loafer or flat) it could also be worn with a navy outfit of skirt and sweater or pants and sweater.  The key would be to wear the coat with a sweater or blouse that also has a bracelet sleeve.

The coat is fully lined in beautiful blue silk.
 I didn't have to look through my closet very long before I discovered some older Brora pieces that pick up the blues in the tweed.
Brora silk blouse and skirt 2010.
One of the many things I love about Brora is the continuity within the range as far as colours are concerned.  These pieces are three years old yet they mesh and wear well together.
Blue Brora jumper with the skirt.
 In fact the coat is an excellent match for one of my favourite and best spring outfits: the Brora Liberty wool skirt and a blue jumper.  This outfit is both warm yet spring-like, perfect when it is still cold outside yet I cannot bear to wear any more gray or brown.

The coat also works perfectly with a dress from this past winter, which is currently in the Brora sale.  You can see the Leaf and Dash Dress here.
 The pale blue in the pattern of the dress picks up the lining of the coat.  These are the kinds of details that really make an outfit sing.
This dress is constructed of a patterned silk in a gorgeous mid-weight, heavy enough to drape and fall perfectly, lovely and comfortable to wear.
The coat with the Leaf and Dash dress.
www.brora.co.uk/
The coat has been adapted to a cold weather look on the website: it is styled with some fingerless wrist warmers and the warm Brora cashmere tights.

I hope your day goes well.  I plan to drink tea and accomplish some serious house-cleaning!
xoxDani


55 comments:

  1. Oh Dani - you look like lady-like perfection! Just divine! I am on look out for long black gloves - I have red ones, don't know why, but black leather... I think I may have long sateen vintage ones! I just love how you are styling these days! You have taken it to whole new level!

    Am making one return of something I have bought already! Ah well - you gotta love what you have and I only really like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WMM, "It must be love, love, love..."

      Delete
    2. WMM red gloves, nice! What are you returning? And isn't tonight Tom Hanks on Broadway?!!

      Delete
    3. Navy Ralph Lauren short blazer - impulse buy - no good to impulse buy!

      Scored at Tory Burch!

      Delete
    4. Glad to hear you scored at Tory Burch! I have done very well with my purchases from TB.

      Delete
  2. Although I am not a fan of 3/4 sleeves on coats, spring would definitely be the time to do it. It is a very beautiful coat and would compliment any outfit. I really do like the color and texture. So stylish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blue Booby. I know the bracelet sleeve is not for everyone.
      It reached 0 degrees outside, it's thrilling, I can't wait for spring.

      Delete
  3. TRUE BLUE Dani, one of your best outfit round-up posts yet! Brora should adore/ employ you. And you know I am thrilled to bits whenever I spot Antonia. Since you can get that much mileage for the coat at full whack and it will "completer piece" make your spring outfits, it is indeed "Listed" and meant to be. Now I am just doing the weather dance to make sure you get the spring for it (not soggy or unseasonably hot, you've already solved chilly with silk-lined gloves). Happy cleaning. (I have to tackle my kitchen light fixture tonight yeesh.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GF, yup worthy of a pared down purchase list. Thanks for those nice words.
      Cleaning the light fixtures is the worst, all of those dead bugs!

      Delete
  4. Size wise it looks so much better on you Dani, the 8 fitted my waist and hips but I needed the ten for my chest but then I lost that sleekness that you have above, it's lovely, bracelet sleeves don't bother me, only in winter coats.
    Much loveliness all round!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tabs I thought it was gorgeous on you, I wish you'd buy it for spring (and your summer), then we'd be twins.

      Delete
  5. Dani, I agree with GF, one of your best outfit posts ever! I think you're right about Brora - there seems to be a continuity about the clothes so that whatever new piece you add will fit in very well with the rest of your wardrobe.
    Happy cleaning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patricia, I like that Brora intends for their clothing to last and last, I built up some basics during their sales and now it is possible to buy a couple of items a year and update them.
      My cleaning is going slower than I would like, and here I am procrastinating on my computer! ;)

      Delete
  6. Fabulous Dani!!! I love how you have mix and match those items. The results is classy and fantastic. You should consider working in the fashion industry, propose some re-looking, wardrobe makeover... You would be terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is divine on you Dani -- so perfectly fitted and slimming. It was meant to be indeed. Love it with the Smythson bag and long gloves. I love the look of 3/4 sleeves with the gloves, it's so luxurious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi M, I like that look so much as well, it's a classic.

      Delete
  8. This was an incredibly inspiring post. I really enjoy seeing your outfit creation at work. I get great ideas for my own wardrobe mixing.

    I think I want to live in your closet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi DF, thanks so much I'm glad you liked it!

      Delete
  9. I love the coat! And the things you have put with it make it more beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan, you can see why I was so preoccupied with it!

      Delete
  10. So, so beautiful Dani. I love it on you. And those sexy yet lady-like gloves are perfect. All the various combinations you've shown are wonderful, so I think that you and this coat will be very happy together. You could both style and model for Brora!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sulky those gloves are pretty serious aren't they, we need to get you some, they seem your style!

      Delete
  11. So perfect for your wardrobe. This coat will look great with your casual clothes too...I'm sure it is great with your jeans and a black sweater and even the chocolate Eileen Fisher. Great find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie yes it suits the clean lines of a simple EF skirt or pant, so true.

      Delete
  12. Oh Dani, such loveliness! Each piece seems to complement the others so perfectly. This is your best work yet and I am hoping you have a lovely spring to wear it often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David, thanks very much. Who knows what spring will be like, I was just out navigating the iceberg sidewalks, eeesh!

      Delete
  13. It's so beautiful. I loved it on Tabitha too - it's really a beautiful coat. You've styled it wonderfully, but please don't forget how fantastic it will look with your Goldsign jeans! I love the look of a ladylike coat with jeans, as this one is perfect in color and cut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy good point, thanks for that suggestion. I thought it was perfect on Tabs as well. It has a really nice line and the fabrics are amazing.

      Delete
  14. What a divine coat! It's such a beautiful colour and I love the shorter sleeve length!
    Brora really does make great pieces. I have some Brora cashmere sweaters from the late 90's that are still just about going, albeit with a bit of darning.
    Whenever I go back home for a visit (London), I trawl Brora and re-stock on a sweater or two. Their blankets are fabulous too.
    Excellent purchase and love what you've styled it with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi ruth, Another big Brora fan yay! Your sweaters would be 15 years old, that's amazing. Can't beat that!

      Delete
  15. Dani,
    Love ,Love Love this coat on you! It fits like a glove and speaking of gloves I prefer your long black leather gloves with this coat .It just makes the entire outfit look so much polished than the picture with the hand warders. The color is to die for! You will spring into spring with the crocuses. Dani you should open your own shop ,you are quite the stylist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anon, thanks very much that's kind. I have dreamed of having a shop!

      Delete
  16. What a beautiful coat, Dani! It looks so pretty on you, and I absolutely love the color, too.

    Hope your cleaning went well. I have been doing the same thing all day, and finally sat down for my own cup of tea. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi FFM, Oh I'm still not where I'd like to be with the cleaning, I keep getting distracted with appointments.
      Thanks for the nice compliments.

      Delete
  17. Well hello gorgeous ! When I first saw the coat I immediately thought of you. It's perfect and I love the colour. Everything you've showed us today makes a beautiful colour story so I suggest a weekend away in the Spring at Langdon Hall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marsha you are reading my mind. We have a wedding anniversary end of April so it's already being planned!

      Delete
  18. When I saw this coat in Tabitha's blog I immediately thought wouldn't this look great on Dani BP? I was right! The stars agreed too, everything aligned to get this to your door. I bought my first Brora last January (cashmere purl snood in indigo stripe) and your glowing reviews are justified.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie, perhaps those thoughts added to the universe aligning?
      The Brora indigo is great, I'm so glad you like your snood!

      Delete
  19. Oh Dani, the coat is such a perfect addition to your wardrobe. Love it with the gloves and structured bag. You are so right about Brora keeping a similar palette of colors over many seasons. Their designer has a very fine painterly eye when it comes to color.
    I'm with Kathy- would love to see your fabulous coat with your Goldsign jeans as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi AmW, I love the brora colours, they suit my climate and mood for certain.

      Delete
  20. The coat with with the elbow length gloves is divinely hepburnesque.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jude musings thank you that conjures up a nice image!

      Delete
  21. Hi Dani, the coat is absolute perfection on you! I love it paired with the elbow gloves and the Smythson bag, it looks so elegant. It was most definitely meant to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louise it needs the gloves for sure otherwise it is too much bare skin which looks a bit odd when the rest of the outfit is black!

      Delete
  22. wonderful but scary when the universe aligns itself in your favor, and the coat looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This coat is right at home in your wardrobe. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lane it is happy there, maybe because I keep gazing at it and saying nice things to it! ;)

      Delete
  24. You look great, Dani, and you sound just tickled with your purchase.

    How perfect to replace several items that you didn't wear with one item that you love! It's an art figuring out what those things are (the rejects and the stars), and I think you're really in a groove with that. You really are illustrating how less is more.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm with you on the tea, but the cleaning will have to wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah well Legend I had big plans but didn't get as much done as I would have liked, there seemed to be lots of sitting going on with the tea..

      Delete
  26. I love it! That is so elegant and Audrey (hepburn) and I can't tell you how much I'm in love with your gloves. Almost wish we lived in chillier climes so I could wear those. Love those patterned tights she's (the lady in the piccy) is wearing with it too.

    ReplyDelete
  27. That is SO Dani! Ladylike, classic, but lively. Perfect. I'd love to pass you on the street, I'd smile so happily and approvingly!

    ReplyDelete