"We are what we believe we are."
C.S. Lewis

Monday, July 3, 2017

Mop Philosophy Monday

Green beans, local.
 It's pretty wonderful to pop over to the store any old day and buy green beans that were actually grown in Ontario... we have to enjoy our very short local vegetable season while we can.
 Canadians get pretty excited about the everyday things, especially in the summer.  It's like being drunk on weather.  This flower arrangement, for example, came out of our garden and I can't stop looking at it.  I was theming red and white, for Canada Day of course!
Tabs of the greatly missed blog Bourbon and Pearls gifted me this green dress.
That's a Kate Spade necklace.
 We've been partying around here with abandon I have to admit.  My friends had a dance party for my birthday last week and I learned something: at 47 staying up dancing and drinking until 2am requires a three day recovery!
Peter Rabbit
 At least I had my garden bunny rabbit (his name is Peter Rabbit by the way) to keep me company.  It seems every time I look out of my bedroom window I see adorable PR hopping around (eating things he shouldn't be, never mind he gets a pass due to cuteness).
 My rascal kids have all been home for the Canada Day weekend, there is nothing better.  Soon we'll be down to one rascal kid living at home (Lil'Rascal who has only three short years of high school left, how is this happening?) and while we're not at the empty nest stage I see it looming.
Orange tree in the kitchen.
I hope I don't kill it.
 Do you ever throw together stuffed zucchini?
 I think I'll be slapdash with these beauties.  I'll carve out the inside and chop it into bits, then saute with basil, kalamata olives, parsley and pepper.  Add cheese, whatever is lying around, stuff and bake.  Super with grilled chicken off the BBQ.
 We bought some new Emma Bridgewater 1 pint coffee mugs, just the sort of super-large coffee that a person who is not-a-fan-of-mornings prefers.
Mason Cash measuring cups.
 Even though it's summertime I still like to cook up a batch of soup for lunch.  How about a vegetarian Irish Stew?
Irish Stew with lentils not mutton.
My own slapdash recipe is below.
Start by sautéing a chopped shallot in 2 tablespoons of butter.  Add in 2 tablespoons of flour and whisk like mad.  After a minute or so start adding in some nice vegetable stock, about half a cup at a time, whisking between additions.  After you've added about 2 to 3 cups you're ready to simmer your vegetables.  I prefer chopped celery, diced carrots and finely diced potatoes (the holy vegetable).  You'll want 5 to 6 cups of chopped vegetables, then add in some parsley, dried or fresh, it doesn't matter.  Simmer for a minimum of 20 minutes, or until your vegetables are tender.
In the meantime boil up some green French lentils with a bit of salt and a sprig of rosemary, if you have it.  Remove the rosemary before adding your lentils to your finished stew.  Add in lentils until you find the amount looks pleasing, I find my family doesn't care to be overwhelmed by lentils, they like to think they're having more of a potato stew.
Serve with some good bread and a big chunk of Irish cheddar cheese!

Hope your Monday is as good as possible and that you have a lovely week,
xoxDani

26 comments:

  1. We have tomatoes coming out our ears. Instead of BBQ for our Independence Day, we are having homemade spaghetti just to keep up with the tomatoes. Happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BB wish I was your neighbour, nothing more delicious than home-grown tomatoes. Thank you BB and I hope you had a wonderful 4th :) xx

      Delete
  2. Happy belated birthday! Good to see you back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a lovely summer. And I like 20 oz mugs for my tea in the morning! Allows for real settling in:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, sensible size for a cup of tea! Those wee cups, who is that going to please? I hope your summer is lovely as well :) xx

      Delete
  4. So wonderful to see your post today! I am crazy for those mugs. I might have to seek them out myself. I am also someone who needs a large coffee to get the day started. How do you prepare your green beans, Dani? They're a favorite in our house and I'd love more ways to fix them.

    We're grilling chicken today. No squash, though perhaps I'll run out and get some from the farmers' market. I have marinated vegetables chilling, and will start soon on a caramelized onion tart. Plum galette for dessert. I love cooking in the summer time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My gosh SunnyDay dinner sounds enchanting at yours! I like green beans hardly cooked at all, just a quick saute with lemon, a touch of olive oil and some minced garlic, salt and pepper is perfect. Truth is I often eat them raw for a snack but of course I can't give them to my slightly fussy Rascals that way.
      Thank you and I encourage the collecting of Emma Bridgewater mugs, her designs are so beautiful and English and the weight of them feels just right in the hand. I order mine online as there are no shops nearby that stock them, they fly in from the UK by FedEx.
      Thank you SunnyDay :) xx

      Delete
  5. Thank you for a fun post, Dani. Hello to the very cute Mr Peter Rabbit, and so much fun to have him in the garden. Better than bush turkeys, definitely. I love Tab's green dress on you, and yes, she is much missed. I will try you soup recipe, perfect for our mild winter evenings. And Happy Canada Day and 150th birthday to you all :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia I shudder at the thought of the dreaded bush turkey, how hideous. Sometimes we see wild turkeys up north in cottage country, I wonder if they are similar?
      Thank you for the good wishes re Canada Day! Oh yes we all miss Tabs though she does have a beautiful Instagram account so I shouldn't complain. :) xx

      Delete
  6. Happy belated Birthday Dani! The stuffed zucchini sound wonderful. I love fresh farm vegetables during the summer. We made ratatouille tonight which is one of my favorite dishes this time of year.
    It's nice to see you posting again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you AmW! The stuffed zucchini were a huge success. So fresh and yummy. Ratatouille is my older daughter's favourite dinner and it's the dish she always cooks when she's on her own. Thank you AmW :) xx

      Delete
  7. Happy Belated Birthday!!! Funny I was just about to write you a "where are you" letter and here you are with not one, but two posts! Gorgeous photos from your trip to Italy - terraced gardens and vineyards are all over Switzerland and I never tired of them when we were living there - the use of space is spectacular. And I loved your comment about laundry - my sheets are all drying in the wind and sun (finally!) as I write but regretfully there are so many communities that have banned drying laundry - honestly I cannot wait to get into bed with sheets that have dried in the sun and wind. I am in the country and you are absolutely right about getting drunk on our local vegetables at this time of year - we buy up our local market and I come home with vegetables I cannot name but taste superb! Hope all is well with your rascals - xox Anna26

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna so good to see you. Isn't it ridiculous the banning of the laundry lines? What the hell kind of terrible policy is this, I've heard it is the case in south Guelph so obviously I could never live there.
      We have to get to Switzerland, our older rascals are looking for a hiking trip so maybe we should plan something. Those kids are doing great, thank you, Gabby moves to U of T in September to start her graduate work so we'll have just one rascal left at home, it feels very strange. Mike is doing great with his job in Toronto, working lots but learning and earning! I hope your own kids are well too, :) xx

      Delete
  8. ps - can you add me to frock philosophy please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have shut down FrockPhil, after realizing I barely have the time for one blog. I might do some FrockPhil type posts on this blog if the ideas come to mind! Thanks for asking after it :) xx

      Delete
  9. Love those mugs and measuring cups. You always find such lovely things. That is such a fabulous photo of you in green. It really captures you well! I'm sure you had a wonderful evening!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen those measuring cups are from Golda's Kitchen, quite near us. They have a lovely Mason Cash selection and such good customer service. Hope you're enjoying that ocean air :) xx

      Delete
  10. BUNNY in THE GARDEN is BETTER THAN FLOWERS!!!!!!XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Contessa you're right as usual! ;) xx

      Delete
  11. That sounds wonderful. Glad to see you also Bluebooby. Miss your blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This recipe looks great! I do have one question. When you say shallot--do you really mean shallot--or do you mean little green onions--the long ones that are white at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan yes a shallot! I cook with these often. I find them at the grocery imported from France though lately I've been finding some from Quebec. I find they have a more subtle taste than either onions or garlic. Hope you're well :) xx

      Delete