Sunday, January 28, 2018

Wiser not Older

 Last evening we had a little dinner party for Aunt Deb to celebrate her birthday.  Isn't this the cutest little gift card?
 She loved it!
The theme of the night was "keep it simple" (as I tend to do for dinner parties... so that I don't end up Crying in the Kitchen).   Pistachio nuts and olives were the aperitif snacks.
 Yesterday was an extremely grey, cold day here, with rain pelting down and dark skies that did not let up.  It was so gloomy outside that we did our best to brighten things inside: lots of candles burning, lots of flowers and plenty of bright white dishes on the dining room table.
 I moved the primula from the kitchen windowsills to create a very simple table centrepiece.  Voila, multi-tasking flowers:
Everyone loves my Aunt Deb and my friends have known her for decades.  She's known me since I was a toddler, and she always took me under her wing when I was growing up... even when I was a bratty teenager and she had little kids of her own.  She's very special to say the least: funny, smart, opinionated, beautiful and kind.
I cooked my go-to dinner: roasted salmon with lots of vegetable side dishes and a big salad.  My friends helped with the side dishes so it was easy-peasy.

How's your Sunday shaping up? I've got lots of cleaning and cooking on my agenda.  It seems like a good day to bake up some granola and maybe cook a nursery pie with the leftover salmon.  I'll use this recipe from our BFF Nigella as inspiration.

Whatever you get up to today I hope it's cozy and fun,
xoxDani