Sunday, April 5, 2020

Chocolate Cake


 The best thing I did this past week was to bake a big chocolate cake for Gabby's birthday.

Typically I would go and buy a birthday cake for the Rascals on their birthdays, and now I can see that I've really been missing out on enjoying a process.

It was incredibly calming and cheering, and the cake itself was far more delicious than anything I've ever bought in a shop.

Of course it was also lovely to have the entire house smelling like chocolate cake for the day, definitely a bonus during these StayHome times.


Best Chocolate Cake Ever... It's True
Also So Easy
 Here are the recipes for both the cake and the frosting, though as you can see they are the recipe cards of a madwoman, you can find both of the recipes online here.
 I used my Williams Sonoma non-stick cake pans, and I prepared them first by smushing butter in them and then tapping around some flour.
 The buttercream frosting was absolutely delicious.  The recipe makes plenty, and a good chocolate cake needs lots of frosting between the layers:
 My Lil' Rascal decorated the cake:
 It was a pandemic birthday to be sure but we had a lovely dinner and everyone was feeling so cheerful.  This time is so difficult on young people who really just want to be living their lives and spending time with their friends... my girls are really impressing me with their maturity.  They understand what is at stake for all of us as a community and haven't complained once about having to stay home.
Now that doesn't mean we don't look at each other at some point during the day, every day, to share our anxiety and disbelief.  Who could have predicted any of this?

In general though we are keeping our spirits up, how are you doing?  Do you have young people at home with you?  Do they miss their friends?
xoxDani