Friday, December 20, 2013

The Custom of the Country

 Curious as to the next selection for the Mop Philosophy Book Club?
The Custom of the Country was first published by Edith Wharton in 1913, telling a story of social ambition and American marriage through the character of Undine Spragg.
I've read most of Edith Wharton's books, but not this one.  It seems I'm in for a treat and I hope you'll join me!
Read what Margaret Drabble has to say about the novel here.
How about another short essay, Bride and Conqueror, written by Leonard Cassuto for the WSJ, right here.

Just for fun, have a look at Vogue's feature on Edith Wharton's life at The Mount, published last year with stunning photographs and an essay written by the brilliant Colm Toibin.

The Custom of the Country: Vogue Re-creates Edith Wharton's Artistic Arcadia
The landscape!

The lifestyle!

The costumes!

Vogue.com
I hope that you'll join me in reading The Custom of the Country.

You can find it free on Project Gutenberg RIGHT HERE.

We'll discuss it on Saturday February 1st.

I hope you have an excellent Friday.  I'll see you over the weekend, we have a dress to discuss!
xoxDani