"We are what we believe we are."
C.S. Lewis

Friday, December 20, 2013

The Custom of the Country

 Curious as to the next selection for the Mop Philosophy Book Club?
The Custom of the Country was first published by Edith Wharton in 1913, telling a story of social ambition and American marriage through the character of Undine Spragg.
I've read most of Edith Wharton's books, but not this one.  It seems I'm in for a treat and I hope you'll join me!
Read what Margaret Drabble has to say about the novel here.
How about another short essay, Bride and Conqueror, written by Leonard Cassuto for the WSJ, right here.

Just for fun, have a look at Vogue's feature on Edith Wharton's life at The Mount, published last year with stunning photographs and an essay written by the brilliant Colm Toibin.

The Custom of the Country: Vogue Re-creates Edith Wharton's Artistic Arcadia
The landscape!

The lifestyle!

The costumes!

Vogue.com
I hope that you'll join me in reading The Custom of the Country.

You can find it free on Project Gutenberg RIGHT HERE.

We'll discuss it on Saturday February 1st.

I hope you have an excellent Friday.  I'll see you over the weekend, we have a dress to discuss!
xoxDani

28 comments:

  1. I may have mentioned this on B & P but I was late to discovering the brilliance of EW. I had to make a hastily arranged trip to Haiti right after the earthquake in January 2010. Among the devastation, I was able to seek the solace of beauty and refinement by zipping myself up into my mosquito netted cot and with earplugs & headlamp enjoy getting to meet the world of EW through the masterful bio by R.W.B Lewis. I've only read House of Mirth and Age of Innocence and look forward to Custom of the Country and discussion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GSL what an image! So you've read a biography of EW, this is good news you'll have much to add to our discussion. I'm so looking forward to it.

      Delete
    2. An absolutely fascinating woman!

      Delete
  2. Love Wharton but I've not read that one either. Perhaps I'll join in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen that would be great... it's just the book for January I think

      Delete
  3. I've never even heard of this book, off to read up on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great book. It's been ages since I have read any of Wharton's novels.
    I am just finishing Tish Jett's book Forever Chic and have a stack of books on the shelf that are waiting...not too sure if I will get to them until after Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hostess I hope you join us... I want to read Tish's book, definitely on my list.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the link! saves me at least a week if I had to order it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naomi you are most welcome, can't wait to read your thoughts!

      Delete
  6. I am so excited to read this! As you know, barry and I were at the Mount this summer - it was amazing!!!! Here's the link in case anyone wants to see non-beautiful pictures (!) Thanks for this pick Dani!

    http://onecantgetoverthehabit.blogspot.ca/2013/07/wendy-barry-and-edith.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EW was way out front on the leopard print!

      Delete
    2. GSL - I was GIDDY when I saw that carpet! It is such an amazing house!

      Delete
    3. Wenders I must get there and I hope that when we do you and Barry will meet us and give the tour, GSL you're coming along as well!

      Delete
  7. Bravo Dani! What a splendid overture for a book club selection. I already have a huge crush on Undine Spragg as nothing arouses GSL like a drawing room dominatrix!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....you see Dani I always like to let women start out on top (ahem) as it's never long before they're knitting me mittens and feeding me grapes.

      Delete
    2. GSL you seem to have your strategy completely worked out you devil!

      Delete
    3. It's a strategy looking for a raconteuse. There are no Elizabeth Bennets to be found.

      Delete
  8. I love this book. I've read it several times and never tire of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon oh good well please come back for book club!

      Delete
  9. Oh my gosh makes me want to race out and cut my trees into pointy things, how glorious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is my favorite Wharton, after The House of Mirth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon I guess we're in for a treat aren't we! Please come by for the discussion Feb 1st!

      Delete
  11. I also loved that Vogue spread!! "The Age of Innocence" is one of my all-time favourite movies and that's also the only Wharton book I've read. Must go check this one out!

    ReplyDelete