"We are what we believe we are."
C.S. Lewis

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Rags at the Windows

The Sample
 MrBP's grandmother had a term for any sort of drapery or curtain, whether humble or fine: rags at the windows.  I imagine her saying it with her Austrian accent and I know just what she meant; sure they finish a room and can be really exquisite but really they're just a bit of stuff hanging there.
Ye olde dining room with the previous rags.
Out of the magic sewing room used by our trusty designer Julie our new drapery panels emerged last week, just in time for the holidays.
The new rags.
 They were fairly simple to install as we had sourced some wooden drapery rods near the end of the Big Renovation 2015.  The rods did have to be adjusted and moved slightly but it was quick work.
This is the kind of home renovating that is immediately satisfying.
Mixed with the linen upholstery on the dining chairs.
And the Hanukah pillow that features a menorah and weirdly, squirrels.
 The fabric is a linen-viscose blend that drapes really beautifully.  I wondered if the pattern would look a bit modern but I think the colour mix is perky without being too jarring.
 I'm happy to be rid of the gloomy dark silk panels.  They're stuck in the back of my car ready for the donate bin, hopefully they'll soon be someone else's treasure.
Print by Tammy Ratcliff

Existing drapery rods suit these rags better I think!
I love a bit of pattern and colour!  Happy Tuesday Dolls, I might try to bake up some kipfel today.
xoxDani

22 comments:

  1. Looks so cosy and love the fabric Dani xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dani, This is the perfect pattern- cheering and bright, but not too trendy. I love it mixed with all your pretty dining room pieces and your art! Here's to a cozy week. Now you need to tell how your kipfel came out. My grandfather was from Bohemia (Czech Republic) and I think they made these! xo Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim
      I will let you know, I have a family recipe for kipfel and I'm so excited. They are from Czech-Austria so they might be very similar to your grandfather's family kipfel. Such a Christmassy treat.
      Thanks and I hope you have a cozy week as well xx

      Delete
  3. Lovely, they bring light and colour to the room, I especially love them next to the picture above your liquor cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia me too, that painting is so bright yet very textural, it's my favourite. It came from my in-law's house as did the bar cart. Bar cart looking a little bare though, that will have to be remedied. ;) xx

      Delete
  4. Those are very pretty. Love the fabric. Very timeless. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't believe how much life that fabric has in it! Adore it! And that painting is absolutely lovely. Your dining room is beautiful and so well layered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SAJ. They turned out really well I think, it's always difficult to look at a 12" square and imagine it as drapery. Hope you're well today xx

      Delete
  6. Wow! What a difference they make. Looks lovely. How many will you be having for Christmas. We will have eleven and may need to have a table of shame (kids table). Not sure if we can all fit around. We got out the Christmas decorations while Emily was home. We have a stocking for CATS. Since we are without cats, we made a new nameplate...JOSH...and pinned it to the stocking. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BB is Josh the boyfriend? Well he'll be pleased to have his own stocking even if it was originally meant for cats. I don't have a stocking for Scout but I guess I could, it would be easy, I could just fill it with socks and shoes, her favourite snacks.
      We are having a small Christmas this year, part of our extended family will be away skiing. I guess we'll have 7 on Christmas Eve and hopefully Christmas Day but ole rascal has to divide his time at his girlfriend's parent's house.... so it begins!
      Thanks BB lovely to see you xx

      Delete
  7. Love your curtains. You are so good to donate your former curtains. I know the hoarder in me would have put them away for that just in case day. Den xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Den the hoarder instinct has to be overcome I have it too! But no storage so that decides it. Thanks Den xx

      Delete
  8. Oh, i purely love that fabric! I also love Vanille Kipferln (hint, hint).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fred I think you need a care package before Christmas! Email me address asap xx

      Delete
  9. I think that's the perfect choice of fabric - a little more casual and modern in feel, but still very traditional. They look so beautiful, and I agree, there's nothing like a quick install to totally change a room. So much more satisfying than a renovation that takes months in some cases!
    That pillow with the squirrel made me laugh too! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi how satisfying to put up a set of curtains and instantly transform a room, unlike all of the years of more expensive and invisible work that went into this house. But I don't need to tell you ;)Thank you xx

      Delete
  10. Those are some NICE rags, Dani! I'm looking for a new chair for our living room, which needs some kind of pattern to jazz things up ... The curtains look great with the chair seat and cushion - so impressed with your ability to mix and match!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LocalSue let me know if I can assist with pattern mixing, I have one skill which is decision making ;) Thank you Sue would love to see you soon xx

      Delete
  11. Could not love this fabric more, and it looks perfect in your room! Well done, you will love these forever!

    ReplyDelete