Sunday, December 31, 2017

New Year's Eve

 Well, it's the last day of 2017.  We were visiting my Aunt and Uncle in their High Park home yesterday afternoon and we toasted out the year.  They lost my Aunt's Mum this year and that was a huge loss, she was one of the loveliest women I have ever met.  Those sorts of losses definitely define a year for a family.
Looking back on a year generally gets one looking ahead too, and while I don't make resolutions with any seriousness I usually have goals in the back of my mind.  These goals generally have a theme of doing a better job of things, everything from running the house to having more fun with our friends to spending quality time with The Rascals.
By the time New Year's Eve rolls around I find I'm anxious to create a clean slate for the New Year, to organize and put away the holiday decorations, clean the house, sort the pantry and just generally tuck in to reflect and rest.
I'll be cleaning and sorting like a madwoman today, I haven't had much of a chance to tackle any domestics the last few days and I can't wait to get a start.  Everything needs a scrub and a polish once I've put away the Christmas things.  Then later on we might go to a friend's for a quick drink before returning home for some comfort food and a movie.

Tonight I'll cook a baked gratin of zucchini, garlic, beans and cashew cream, with a topping of breadcrumbs and nutritional yeast, all baked to perfection.
 I'll bake some bread too, using this recipe.
Zucchini and Bean Gratin
Whatever you're doing this evening I wish you a very cheery time and a really wonderful New Year!
xoxDani