Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Sorted




 I tend to have very little patience for sorting through my ironing basket, and it is the one household task that I will put off doing for as long as possible.
This might be why it's so satisfying when I actually clear the task off of my list.
I spent yesterday morning paying bills and doing some mid-month tax filing, and once that was finished I attacked the housework.  By mid-afternoon I was ready to sort through the laundry room.  The machines had been whirring all day with bed linens, towels and clothes but it was time to clear the decks.
The lower level of our house was a dirt-floored cellar when we bought it.  The laundry was stuck in a sad, scary corner full of cobwebs and damp.
It was the first area we renovated, and in the winter months it becomes incredibly cozy.  The kitchen is just up the staircase, the laundry room smells of lavender and the fire roars away in the family room area.

 I have a civilized method to get through the boring task of ironing: setting up the board in front of the fire so that I can iron away while watching the afternoon news.


 It was just a year ago this week that we put this gas fireplace in the basement family room.  It is the perfect size but it is not to be underestimated: "feel the heat coming off of that thing!" as my Dad would say.
Once we had this fireplace installed we were able to shut off the electric baseboard heating on the entire lower level permanently.  This has saved us hundreds of dollars in electricity costs just in the first year.  It also added the final touch to this series of cozy basement rooms: laundry room, large bathroom and family room:  the whole place just finally feels sorted.

Today I have something special on the agenda: my Fun Book Club this evening, here at my house.  I cannot wait to get caught up with those interesting women.  I'll let you know how it goes.
Have a great day today, hopefully you'll have someone fun in it!
xoxDani