Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Closet Editing and Organization

 Somehow this closet project has taken me almost two weeks, I've been approaching it with the speed of a turtle.

I haven't done a significant wardrobe edit for at least a couple of years.  I had planned to do it while I was packing up the old house for our move but I had a feeling that I was too scattered and frazzled to be thoughtful about it.  I think that was probably a good call, and while it was slightly inconvenient to haul over masses of clothes I have since edited I'm happy I didn't make any rash decisions.

I feel a change coming on as far as acquiring and keeping wardrobe items.  It no longer feels fun or justifiable to buy new things, it feels overly acquisitive and really like an activity that is ruining the environment.  The fashion industry is definitely one of the world's top polluters, but it's also the carbon footprint that exists around it, the shipping, the returns, the items that end up in landfill.
With this in mind I was pretty careful to keep as many things as possible going into this next decade, and I have set a few things aside in my cedar chest in the basement (a tip from Hostess, thank you Leslie!)
I also set a few things aside for my daughters, and in fact some of my items I was considering selling, (like my handbags I don't use as often) I'll be keeping in my wardrobe for the day I can pass them on.

Let's go back to the beginning of this edit to discuss the process.  I started out by making piles: Keep, Donate and Clothing Swap.
This involved trying on some items, including shoes (weirdly it seems my flats have all become uncomfortable) and thinking carefully about what might work for my friends The Lauras when we had our Clothing Swap.
I ended up bringing four giant bags of clothes and shoes to the Goodwill, and that very same day I invited The Lauras over for a Clothing Swap (with some accompanying wine and dinner to follow).

I'm calling it a Clothing Swap but really it was me getting them to try on dozens of items and urging them to take them home.  I have to say it is so fun to share clothes with girlfriends, and some of the things that really fit them or they especially loved was a real delight to see.

I hauled the giant basket in the top photo upstairs to the Elephant Room (I could barely lift it it was so full) and then I placed everything on the bed for us to go over.
The Lauras tried everything on and each left with a full basket!  Some of the dresses I had bought over the years (Lela Rose cocktail dresses found on eBay I'm looking at you) fit the shorter Laura perfectly- aha this was why they never worked on me, they needed someone more petite!  Other dresses fit LauraB better, with her yoga arms and slimmer hips.
 It was a really fun process and one I highly recommend if you have girlfriends who are even near in size to you.

Once I had edited out and found new homes for everything I had decided not to keep it was time to get down to the business of organizing my closet.  My goal was to have all of my clothes in this closet, clothes for every season including occasion dresses.

 Front and centre I have my best dress on display, it doesn't hurt to have a little daily inspiration.
Needle and Thread gown.
 On the right side I have my everyday fall and winter clothes.
 Day to day during the colder months I don't wear too many dresses, I have three silk ones that I occasionally wear with a sweater over.
 For the most part I wear wool skirts and sweaters.  Most of these are either really old JCrew pieces in wool... the one exception is this vintage Burberry skirt (below) I found on eBay last year.

This is a uniform I decided on while editing my wardrobe, I had a little meltdown one day during the process and decided I was sick and tired of wearing my Canadian tuxedo of jeans and a jean shirt.  It's too cold for one, skirts are much warmer to wear with proper tights, long socks and boots.  I also just feel better, more like myself, when I wear a skirt or dress.
 There are some shelves in my closet above the rack of everyday clothes, these I am using for storing some warm weather items, and to store some out-of-season shoes and all of my handbags.
After going through this process I decided I needed to update my handbag situation, without going high-end on the purchases.  I've found some Tory Burch bags on the post-holiday sales, 70% discounts yes thank you.
Handbags... the one currently in use is missing.
I have spots for a couple of bags in fun summer colours.
 On the left side of the closet are what I would call Occasion clothes, dresses and outfits for parties or lunch or dinner out.  I may not wear these items very often but having them right in front of me is very cheering and fun.  It also helps me remember what I have... to avoid buying new things.

I like to hang scarves over outfits to remind myself to wear them.
 Some of these items are highly sentimental, like my Nana's mohair coat:
Nana's mohair coat from Scotland.
 The great thing about the eleven foot ceilings on our second floor is that the closet has room for a rod placed extra high.  I asked Kerry to install this for me and it's perfect for holding my out-of-season clothes, in this case my everyday summer dresses and outfits.
Look up, it's summer!
I use a tall stepladder to access this super high closet rod.
 You might be wondering where I am storing my sweaters, tights, socks, pyjamas etc.

In buying our house we were determined to make only the minimal furniture purchases, which ended up being a sofa bed and a tv for the family room.
I wasn't sure how I was going to organize myself without a dresser of any kind...but we had this pine armoire in the basement of our old house and I decided I could make it work.

The armoire was in two pieces and the doors of the top portion had been removed... Kerry to the rescue again, he replaced the doors and was also able to get it sitting on the floor so that it was level.
 It's actually a very large armoire and fits in loads of items.  There are shelves top and bottom, some of which hold my folded sweaters and some which hold baskets to contain smaller items.
Scarves in their boxes on the top shelf.
The baskets at the bottom hold extra hosiery, out-of-season pyjamas and costume jewelry.
 I give all of my sweaters a good spritz of the Laundress wool and cashmere spray before folding them and placing them back on the shelves.
 I store my sweater dress from Kiel James Patrick on the top shelf... I like that it coordinates with the Hermes boxes.  My Scottish wool wraps are on the shelf underneath, with a pale pink poncho (great for early summer) and then some Everlane alpaca cardigans lying below.
Tee shirt and turtlenecks in a wee basket.
I don't really wear tee shirts anymore but I held onto my striped classic (great with a navy skirt in summer) and I store some thin turtlenecks along with it to wear under winter outfits.
The patterned box was a Christmas gift box but it is also the perfect size for tights and socks.

It's such a relief to have this done and while the process was slow in the end it was fun, especially the Clothing Swap with The Lauras.
The best part is they're so happy with their new clothes that they're taking me out to dinner!
I hope you are happy and healthy these days... please share any closet organizing tales and tips.
xoxDani