Sunday, December 8, 2019

Christmas Outfits

 Planning outfits for Christmas parties this year has been an interesting process because I've been avoiding (though not entirely) buying new things.

First of all I spent most of my disposable income this last quarter on Farrow & Ball paint!  There are other wardrobe issues at play however, beginning with the fact that I seem to have a strange wardrobe collected over the last few years of either very dressy outfits (tulle dresses, a taffeta skirt, an opera coat) or completely denim outfits (top to toe JCrew chambray shirt and jeans).

I had most of my wardrobe packed away for the move in three large duffel bags and I decided it was time to go through them to see what I was working with.

This Robert Noble JCrew skirt suit from 2009 is my top pick from my own archive.  I absolutely love this shade of red, a true red with a yellow undertone that corresponds well to the brown leather buttons on the jacket.  I wanted to attempt to wear it with my leopard heels (JCrew, 2015) and a white silk camisole from London brand The Fold.
 I like that the background of the leopard print is white, it pairs well with the camisole and sets off the red, what could be more Christmassy than red with white?

 That's one outfit sorted without a new purchase.

How about those denim outfits?  Truth be told it's often what I wear during the day, and Christmas week will be no exception.  I'll be busy cooking, cleaning (laundry never stops, especially with a house full of rascals) and walking Scout.

 I've been looking for a plaid, oversized coat to throw on over my daytime uniform of Canadian tuxedo, big wool sweater and boots.  I found one at H&M that's made of recycled wool (their Premium Conscious line uses lots of recycled wool and many items, like this coat, are made in Europe).  It was one hundred dollars, a better price even than the vintage plaid coats I found on eBay.  It's oversized, warm and fluffy:
I'm pairing it with a vintage Ralph Lauren sweater in a floral lambswool that I found on eBay for twenty five bucks.  The wool is super thick and soft, I highly recommend vintage Ralph Lauren items if you can find them, my top tip would be to remember that sizing was different in the 1980's, this sweater is a size medium but fits like a small.
Oversized plaid coat H&M Conscious.
Scout's fur coat her own.
 Another trick for adding some Christmas colour to older outfits, a new red nail polish of course.  I bought one that goes well with my old Smythson red clutch handbag.
New Chanel polish.
No719 "Richness"
Smythson clutch handbag, old.
Adding Christmas colour to my black tulle dress.
It hasn't been completely all about shopping my closet however, I've had to replace my cardigans that complete many an outfit, and I wanted to add a couple of dresses that are more suitable for day.  I ordered some things online and once I decide what to keep I'll assemble a few more outfits... stay tuned for Part Two later this week.

I hope you're having a lovely Sunday!  Are you planning Christmas outfits?  Have you added in anything new or vintage recently?
xoxDani