"We are what we believe we are."
C.S. Lewis

Friday, October 10, 2014

Mop Philosophy Book Club: Middlemarch

"It was wicked to let a young girl blindly decide her fate like that, without any effort to save her."
-chapter 29, Middlemarch

I feel that we are in for an extra special treat at our next Mop Philosophy Book Club.  For starters, we are reading one of the finest novels in the English language:  Middlemarch by George Eliot.  However, the best bit is you won't have one host but two: our very own raconteur of the blogging world, GSL, will be hosting the club with me on Saturday November 22nd.

GSL suggested the book and very generously offered to help me host knowing I am a bit overwhelmed with my house project.  Thank you GSL!

I'm looking forward to putting my feet up at the end of the day these next few weeks while getting lost in the world of Middlemarch... I hope you will all join us.

The book is available through Project Gutenberg free, right here.

Stay tuned for updates and please mark November 22nd down on your calendars.
xoxDani

10 comments:

  1. Excellent! I've never read Middlemarch, but will hunt it down and give it a go.
    I've been unable to read fiction recently, let's hope this will break the drought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth, I think it will and I am about 5 chapters in and you immediately see what Barnes and Amis raved about.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. This is going to be fun Wendy as we are likely to have a touch of winter chill and I can't think of anything better than talking about a great book over coffee, cider, tea, or something for my cough on a Saturday with kindred spirits with the hols just over the horizon.

      Delete
  3. Dani, we're very much looking forward to another installment of your fabulous book club. Tabitha has been busy as a beaver with fittings at all the couturiers, presser scheduling, and arranging for Berry Bros. and M & S to airlift in provisions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An excellent choice Dani. A true classic!

    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  5. Count me in! It;s been decades since I first read this. A good, chewy book!

    I don;t think my comment stuck on your reno (tried twice) so I will try again today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent! I read Middlemarch many years ago and it is one of my favourites. If anyone is interested, check out the BBC miniseries based on the novel - it is available for viewing on Netflix here: http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70202590

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great choice. Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete