"We are what we believe we are."
C.S. Lewis

Monday, November 17, 2014

Mop Philosophy Monday

 We've had a bit of a country/city weekend that began with a visit to Scout's holiday farm, how do you like this firewood stacked neatly in an old trunk?  That's just the sort of practical display and organization that is really pleasing to the eye.

As are old restored barns...
Star detail on barn.
 I'm not sure why chickens are so funny but somehow they are, so full of character and bemusement:
The chickens in their house at Scout's holiday farm.
Scout desperately wanted to get in there... to cause a commotion I'm sure!
 Ruby has soulful eyes doesn't she?
Ruby
 Don't worry about Scout one bit, she's having the time of her life and now leaps through the tall grass like a giant rabbit.  Being a city dog this skill took some time apparently!
Scout and Doogan leaping like giant rabbits.
Apparently she looked at it for three days while formulating her leaping strategy.
 Wondering what's going on inside our completely gutted and debris-filled house?
Last week: the subfloor and new bits of the unfinished oak.
 Things are looking lovely inside, the new floors are down on all three stories, have been stained and are just between coats to finish.
The new floor with a brown stain.

Ta-Da!
Work on the outside has been less than busy.  We had another go-round with our permits and a required inspection which then piqued some interest... in maybe an engineer's report on the foundation for the back steps?  Well we've got that done after lots of back-and-forth, commotion, extra costs and some lost time.  This is the way it goes and if it all went smoothly there would be no stories...
Sad old stone waiting to become something.

Work at a standstill.  

The foundation which could survive the Zombie Apocalypse.
The engineer agreed it will be solid long past our time on this Fair Earth.

 We have fresh stamps from the inspectors and engineers as of this past Friday and a go-ahead to build full-steam, this week should be busy and I only wish it wasn't so cold outside.  It was frustrating for the crews to not be able to just do their job, I always think it would be so satisfying to have a trade and to build things but to be mired down because of paperwork would be a frustrating aspect of that job, don't you think?  Fingers crossed that the conditions won't be too tough for the crews this week...

Stay tuned as I know it seems like I am ignoring some key aspects of Mop Philosophy such as organizing and wardrobes... this is not the case for there is action behind the scenes.  Upcoming we have Intel From New York, our faithful blog member Teacups has submitted a report With Photos on the new Brora shop on Madison Avenue, it's true!
 We also have much to discuss around the issues of tidying, cleaning and organizing according to the KonMari Method... and of course there is the eternal vexation of the dichotomy of wardrobing: specifically everyday outfits focussed on comfort, plain colours and practical pieces juxtaposed with shiny metallic party clothes (to satisfy our imaginations and that inner bright interest that wants joyful pretty things), not a new concept to be sure but one I've been thinking about lately.

Have an excellent and productive day Tooties and May Your Force Be With You,
xoxDani

25 comments:

  1. Dani those inspectors can be sticklers for detail and can hold up a project for months...
    Did you have to jump through hoops?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Chicago, it takes 'palm grease'...and buying insurance from the alderman's brother.

      Delete
    2. Hostess it is fortunate that MrBP knows plenty of engineers through his work so while it wasn't less expensive a process it might have been quicker, a 2 day turn-around, we knew if we lost another week it may not get done for months!
      Yes G I was fantasizing about that solution last week hehe.

      Delete
  2. Scout and Doogan look to be in a remake of 'Love Story'. I'm awaiting Teacups' Intel from NY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G I think they might be, how will Scout feel leaving her Doogan, I'm a bit worried about it but they will be together again this winter when we go on a ski holiday. I know you appreciate Intel and you will be very impressed with our Teacups!

      Delete
  3. I am so craving an escapist party dress just now.
    I must say that holiday farm of Scout's is beautiful, farms around here don't look anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tabs it is an especially pretty farm I have to say, me too with the party dress and for no reason whatsoever!

      Delete
  4. House is coming along and won't surprise you I regret law school and wish I was a plumber or electrician instead...Kondo scares me and while I know she's good I wouldn't let her in my house!! Scout is having too much fun and looks so happy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naomi I'm reading that book again, yes twice but she is very strict and I have to wrap my head around it! Wish I knew more about plumbing and electrical too, it would certainly come in handy. I always try to learn something from repairmen but they think I'm crazy I'm sure and wish I would go away. Scout is going to be less than impressed with city life when she comes home!

      Delete
  5. Well it is the glittering time of year, isn't it? I ordered a couple of glittery things myself. Cheap, but glittery, which is probably what glittery ought to be! So happy for you that the floors are in! I am reading the clutter book you are going to blog on - am only a bit I to it, but am intrigued. No way I am even going to consider this till after the holidays - I am soooo busy! But a perfect opportunity when emptying into a new house! I noticed the daily connoisseur mentioned it this morning as well. And that teacups - what a marvel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy I'm definitely going to apply her methods when we move back in because of course it is a perfect opportunity to do so. Yes don't think of until after the New Year!
      Mmm glittery, what do you think of shiny golden elephants, that's a hint as to the glittery something winging its way towards me. ;)

      Delete
  6. Your floors look great! Glad the government has been paid their money ( for it's all about money) and you can continue on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BB it all comes down to the buck doesn't it!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful pictures Dani! I love this wood in the trunk!
    Your floors look great, the wood really brings a warm touch in a house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those stones don't look sad to me; full of potential! The polar vortex is still not cooperating this week, but I hope the work can proceed. Scout will be perplexed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Scout looks to be having the time of her life...what a lovely farm to 'holiday' at while the reno is being completed. Your floors look beautiful, and I'm glad that you were able to get all the mess with the permitting worked out. Hopefully a lot of progress will be made this week, and everything will continue on schedule. I know you must really be looking forward to moving back home again, especially since it will be almost like moving into a brand new one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a magical place for Scout. Glad the plans are proceeding on the house front. We always contend with the historical society around these parts who have a way of saying no way to anything not Farrow and Ball coloured (not that I object!) If you are referring to some shoes (glittery elephants), I saw then online this weekend and was deliberating over them myself!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I chuckled a bit about your step foundation being solid. Last year, we built a barn/garage at our farm. We had an engineer design its foundation. Yes, extra costs, time, you name it. We have a barn/garage that is sturdier than our house. I am convinced that, someday, someone will convert it into a house.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i want to vacation with scout. no i'm really serious!

    nothing worse than permit problems. the sight of the inspector always brings chills right?

    everything looks so good though and it'll all be so worth it. your home is going to be transformed and so beautiful!

    look forward to the post on sparkly clothing. esp the care of. you sound really good dani. xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those floors are looking good Dani! We are going through a little bit of construction work too, but very tiny in comparison - a wall going up in the basement. However, we have a friend doing it, so that means evenings and weekends.

    Scout will be quite bewildered when you bring her home!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everything is looking good! Fingers crossed that all the work goes smoothly and on schedule. Looking forward to the report on the NY Brora store. I won't have time to visit until after the school term is over!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks great! May your reno go off without a glitch, and may you have us all for dinner with delicious pig cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love that picture of the chickens - we love chickens and wish we could have some!
    Scout's holiday experience looks amazing. I hope she'll adapt to being back in the city!!
    Commiserations on the building hold-ups. It's a bloody painful process, isn't it?
    I'm embracing clutter and chaos in my life, as there is no point in trying to avoid it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My goodness, I am impressed at your organizational skills in keeping your renovation on the go, seeing that Scout has a cracking good time at the farm, and keeping this blog going. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gosh, this farm looks like its from central casting, it's stunning. That's such a pretty idea about the trunk

    ReplyDelete