Wednesday, May 13, 2015

In The Garden

 I thought I'd post some pictures of our garden which has been finished and manicured to the inch, and who would have thought it possible?  When the snow melted in March it looked as though a mad team of dirt bikers had run circles around the garden and terrace, laughing maniacally and throwing beer cans hither and thither.  Construction debris and random bits of garbage were everywhere, it was truly uninspiring and added to the gloom of March.
 Somehow now a mere six weeks later all is well, crews came and went, our good friend and landscape designer ruled over things (with clippers in hand) for an entire day and some tall ladders and serious trimmers were then brought in to take care of the massive cedar hedge and crab apple tree... this is the result.

The view from inside the kitchen.
It's much easier to have dinner outdoors now, we're out there nearly every night.

Lion King of the garden.

The table which I like to kit out with colourful cushions and linens for dinner.
I've been sewing up all of the fabrics I have bought in France on trips, finally making use of them!
That deserves a SlapDash Decorator post. 

Some of the stonework we had done included a banding around the terrace...

To tie in with the large stone steps.
They're very nice for sitting on while drinking wine in the evenings.

Scout!

Our Japanese Maple is the star of the garden.
I gave the construction crews a big lecture about protecting it last fall.


Our crab apple tree in full bloom this week.

This is the lilac my good friend LauraP gifted me a couple of years ago, I love it.

A peek at the shed belonging to our wonderful neighbours.

Our own garden shed which I'm planning to spruce up with window treatments to solve the black abyss look.

The purple sand cherry trees were pruned to a lovely shape, very Japanese in style I think.

There's an empty spot next to Rebecca just now.
That won't do, we've got a white magnolia coming thanks to our dear friend and landscape designer.
But not until after the weekend, we're having a frost tonight, jeepers! 

Our sundial purchased while on holiday in Lunenburg Nova Scotia 2009.
It brings back many memories.
The sundial, which always makes me pause, reads:

 HOURS FLY
FLOWERS BLOOM AND DIE
OLD DAYS OLD WAYS PASS
LOVE STAYS

xoxDani