"We are what we believe we are."
C.S. Lewis

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

In The Garden

 I thought I'd post some pictures of our garden which has been finished and manicured to the inch, and who would have thought it possible?  When the snow melted in March it looked as though a mad team of dirt bikers had run circles around the garden and terrace, laughing maniacally and throwing beer cans hither and thither.  Construction debris and random bits of garbage were everywhere, it was truly uninspiring and added to the gloom of March.
 Somehow now a mere six weeks later all is well, crews came and went, our good friend and landscape designer ruled over things (with clippers in hand) for an entire day and some tall ladders and serious trimmers were then brought in to take care of the massive cedar hedge and crab apple tree... this is the result.

The view from inside the kitchen.
It's much easier to have dinner outdoors now, we're out there nearly every night.

Lion King of the garden.

The table which I like to kit out with colourful cushions and linens for dinner.
I've been sewing up all of the fabrics I have bought in France on trips, finally making use of them!
That deserves a SlapDash Decorator post. 

Some of the stonework we had done included a banding around the terrace...

To tie in with the large stone steps.
They're very nice for sitting on while drinking wine in the evenings.

Scout!

Our Japanese Maple is the star of the garden.
I gave the construction crews a big lecture about protecting it last fall.


Our crab apple tree in full bloom this week.

This is the lilac my good friend LauraP gifted me a couple of years ago, I love it.

A peek at the shed belonging to our wonderful neighbours.

Our own garden shed which I'm planning to spruce up with window treatments to solve the black abyss look.

The purple sand cherry trees were pruned to a lovely shape, very Japanese in style I think.

There's an empty spot next to Rebecca just now.
That won't do, we've got a white magnolia coming thanks to our dear friend and landscape designer.
But not until after the weekend, we're having a frost tonight, jeepers! 

Our sundial purchased while on holiday in Lunenburg Nova Scotia 2009.
It brings back many memories.
The sundial, which always makes me pause, reads:

 HOURS FLY
FLOWERS BLOOM AND DIE
OLD DAYS OLD WAYS PASS
LOVE STAYS

xoxDani

29 comments:

  1. Looks comfortable, elegant, serene and joyful. Wonderful. I love the banding on the terrace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa, the banding was key to tie the terrace the the new steps... I think you wouldn't know it was done in stages looking at it now. xo

      Delete
  2. Dani, you have created such a beautiful home. The garden is the icing on the cake. It is so beautiful. I cannot tell you how envious I am of the plantings, especially the lilac! It has long been a favorite of mine. I had white and purple at my home in Canada. Needless to say, their delicate beauty cannot survive the Arizona heat. I can picture you out in that garden with a book and a lovely glass of wine. Invite me over!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's an oasis! I adore Japanese maple too and love that specific shade of red. I love how Canada is crazy cold with snow but it manages to then go green like this so soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naomi we're all about living in the extremes here! This garden was covered with so much snow and ice just weeks ago and look at us now. xo

      Delete
  4. I love it Dani! I thought it was love.y before, but this is grand! The stonework works perfectly with the house and style of garden - magnificent! I love a formal garden and unfortunately, our woods don't lend to that! You will love the magnolia - mine is just starting to bloom! I cannot believe how far around you are! I'm just getting daffodils? Our crabapple won't blossom for a couple of weeks for sure unless the weather takes a dramatic turn! On the other hand, walking around the yard last night I discovered the lily of the valley have finally entered their leap phase, which makes me so happy! Tell your designer he is a genius!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh but Wendy I adore a woodland garden! xo to you and Barry!

      Delete
  5. So lovely. If the pollen would just tamper down a bit the outdoors would be more enjoyable here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BB I know what is up with allergy season, I'm suffering too and I normally just have a twinge of a spring allergy, it's really bad this year due to our long cold wet winter I think. xo to you and your Hunter kitted out in his Italian blue finery ;)

      Delete
  6. Dani, this is truly lovely. All the upheaval of last year was certainly worth it, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia we hardly remember it now ;) thank you! xo

      Delete
  7. So inspiring. It does look lovely and serene. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KnitYarns we live smack in the downtown so the city noise is there but never mind, it's all about the surroundings, and conversation drowns out a surprising amount of background noise... xo!

      Delete
  8. Ah, Dani I would spend so much time out in your garden. The statuary is glorious and adds so much to the flowering beauties! Have a wonderful weekend!

    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karena. Statues are key to that classic garden feeling! xo!

      Delete
  9. Your garden is a breath of fresh air! So beautiful and calming. I think you'll enjoy your magnolia tree, which will fit right in with the other beauties in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CD our neighbours have a lovely magnolia so I'm hoping they will connect with each other in years to come, blooming in sync etc... the magnolia bloom is highly anticipated here in the spring as I'm sure you can imagine! xo

      Delete
  10. Gorgeous stonework! That backbone makes such a difference. Are the hummingbirds in your crabapple?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lane the structure is key as you know! I have never witnessed a hummingbird in our garden... but we do have cardinals, do we ever, I see them every time I look out the window which is very often. ;) xo

      Delete
  11. To have such a young garden looking so magnificent is such a wonder! It will truly help you make the most of our short summer! Everything looks perfect! Bravo, Dani!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca thanks though I take no credit except for cheque writing. And MrBP did the earning for that so... ;) We started this garden in 2009 so it had time to develop before the addition of the stone porch and banding of the terrace, all part of the plan but better to implement in steps, that stonework is so 'spensive, but you get what you pay for ;) xo

      Delete
    2. You're too modest, my dear...your style is all over that lovely space! And yes...'spensive stone is right! I expect you're the same as us here I having to have such a deep base before you even start, and then concreting it is....ah, memories....but I love all our stone, too!

      Delete
  12. Such a beautiful garden! The Crabapple is especially pretty right now. I think I'd spend a lot of time in the yard, if it were mine. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer, and you know something our crab apple didn't even bloom last year.. I think it is rewarding us for the renovation! Do you have crab apple trees in California? Funny but I can't imagine that but they may well be fixtures for you and they might bloom twice a year? xo!

      Delete
  13. I love your garden! So full of colour, seasonal interest, and that terrace looks very inviting. You've done such a great job with your renovation from the glimpses you've given us on the blog Dani, and I know from experience how wonderful it is to have that magic wand waved and all traces of the builders mess disappear! Enjoy your beautiful garden, I'm sure it will be quite a haven during the warmer months you have. xx

    ReplyDelete