Monday, June 29, 2015

Mop Philosophy Monday

 I keep pencils in the kitchen, how about you?  Someone is always asking me for a pen or pencil, so to avoid the irritation of searching through drawers I just keep 8 or 10 pencils visible at all times.

Speaking of kitchen supplies, I've been going through cleaning aids like no-one's business, the kitchen is the room in the house that needs endless attention.
 I love to see everything shining and gleaming but of course within a few short hours (or minutes depending on Rascal Snack Habits), it's all a mess again.

 Never mind, let's breathe in the beauty of perfectly folded pink washcloths:

The perfect beauty of five folded pink washcloths.
 As our talented friend Heidi explained last week groups of three or five in decorating and homekeeping are particularly pleasing because these groupings are often found in nature, in petals or leaves for example.
I kept this in mind last week while finishing the decorating of my laundry room:
Folded towels and a blanket, ready to be carried upstairs.
 Three plates in a blue and white theme on the beadboard wall, hung up above the pine chest where I store extra linens and towels... it's a small detail that was very easy to implement yet so pleasing to see as one approaches the laundry room.
 I found two of these plates at the thrift store, there are so many pretty abandoned plates out there in the world that need rescuing.  I had to stop myself from buying more than two.

Another detail that I'm finding especially pleasing lately, yet so useful as well?
I attached tassels to those little keys that lock up various pieces of furniture and are so easily lost.  I can't imagine why I didn't think of this before, I've lost track of some important keys in my time.

Now that it's summertime I've been thinking about all of those years that we sent Ole Rascal up north to his camp in Algonquin Park, the packing up, the anxiety, the letters back and forth...
Red Detail in decorating: the Happy Canoe in the study.
 ...well he wasn't much for writing letters come to think of it, but he did construct this little canoe one summer as a birthday present for MrBP (it says BDAY on the opposite side).  He was always away for his Dad's birthday so he would make a special gift in the craft cabin.  We treasure the Happy Canoe, an important red detail in the decoration of the study.

Speaking of red details how about the window arrangement at the Sun Inn in Kirkby Lonsdale?


The Sun Inn, Kirkby Lonsdale.
Our favourite pub and restaurant in old Kirkby Lonsdale.
Such a Red Detail!
Red Details in the Mop Philosophy Kitchen, some perfect red tomatoes warming on the windowsill.
 Cooking with tomatoes lately?  Me too, as per usual.  I'm also adding them to salads.  I guess I have red details on my mind because this was the topic of my recent Frock Philosophy blog post:
Red Details on Frock Philosophy 

 I'll be wearing some red details this week for Canada Day, and adding in blue to that colour combo for the 4th of July.
Speaking of which, I'm so excited because I'm having a Fourth of July party!  Are you?  Whatcha cooking?  I'm thinking steaks on the Bar-Bee, let me know what you're planning.
Have a great week whatever you're up to,
xoxDani