"We are what we believe we are."
C.S. Lewis

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

The Slapdash Decorator Turns An Eye To The Front Porch

 Our front porch is one of my favourite places to people-watch and drink a glass of wine.  Therefore cushioning is important, and because this space is, after all, outdoors, it is ideal if those cushions are slipcovered so they can be tossed in the wash easily.
Last year I bought some rather uninspiring cushions from Pier One.  The seat cushions fit the furniture (which was purchased at Pier One several years ago, they seem to always have this same style of wicker hanging about) but the indoor-ooutdoor fabric covering them was kind of blah.
So I decided to buy some fabulous French fabric (the porch is covered so it didn't have to be a Sunbrella fabric) and sew up some slipcovers in a slapdash fashion.
 This fabric has a grey background with bits of orange, blue-grey and even a little chartreuse in the pattern.
I love it so much I used the online fabric sample to create the new wallpaper for the blog.
 The sewing on these is pretty terrible but the slouchy slapdash effect somehow suits the casual porch... at least that's what I'm telling myself.
The orange in the main fabric picks up the orangey-red brick of the house, don't you think?
 I had a yard of this fabulous light green toile fabric, also from France, that I was planning on using in the living room.  I had the living room cushions made from velvets with trims so this fabric was left abandoned... in the end I think it suits the porch and the wicker.
 Another Slapdash Decorator solution took place last week... the corralling of the sneakers and the Birkenstock sandals in the foyer.
Scout has decided that she loves to eat sandals and sneakers so when Little Rascal is here with her friends they just throw their footwear on top of the piano:
I know, not very elegant.
 I had a basket that was originally intended for magazines just lying around and it turns out to be a perfect container for several pairs of shoes:  they can be propped in there vertically and don't get lost in a commotion on the bottom.
Better.
How's your week going?  It's been so hectic around here I can't even tell you.  I hope you're having fun and staying out of mischief.
xoxDani

28 comments:

  1. I just noticed the blog wall paper...lovely! I just love these Slapdash Decorator posts! Hope you can sit and relax on your new porch cushions and enjoy a glass of wine this evening! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bag Lady I took your suggestion and ran with it ;)

      Delete
  2. Love what you have created with the porch pillows Dani and the basket is perfect for the kids shoes!

    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena
    Stems Soiree

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karena I'd rather have some flowers there but those sandals need a spot ;)

      Delete
  3. Love that fabric so much!! Works so well. I love a porch as it seems rather romantic and where you do your good thinking. Funny we did something similar with shoes and put them in a planter! Great minds hehe xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ps love the folds you did or is it called pleats?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naomi yes great minds ;)
      I sort of did pleaty folds on the fly, very slapdash as I was sewing so I could round the corners. Cheater sewing for sure.

      Delete
  5. i think the slapdash look for the porch is perfect. it just induces relaxation. love the prints and you know i adore the shoes on the piano! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet I know you always like a bit of organization ;)

      Delete
  6. Love it! So glad you decided to stay ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Dani.
    Have swooned over your blog wallpaper for some time. I always imagined it to literally be - wallpaper. How sweet that it's actually fabric sitting on your porch. Perfect colours for all year round too.
    And slapdash, it is not. Wish my slap dash looked like that:)
    You're right, the "sat in " look suits the verandah perfectly. Makes it look endearing and inviting to sit and enjoy tea. Something we are unable to do at the moment given the freezing temperatures and persistent rain we're having in this part of the world. Keep up the great domestic work! Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen it is porch weather here to be certain, a fleeting time of year. I hope you are having a cozy time in the rainy cold. :)

      Delete
  8. I love the porch slipcovers Dani and they don't look slap dash to me! Porch sitting is one of my favorite activities. In good weather, I spend as much time as possible on the screened porch of our farm house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan I'd spend all my time out there too if I were you, it's a beautiful spot. :)

      Delete
  9. I envy you the fabulous porch. You've done a wonderful job making it look relaxing and inviting. What a great idea to corral the shoes in a basket. I always remember the words of a dog trainer I worked with who adored animals but was not exactly great with people. When dealing with a client who was very distressed about her dog having chewed up numerous pairs of shoes, he raised one eyebrow, peered over his glasses at her and said "were they on the floor?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DF well exactly. I can see quite clearly that a Birkenstock sandal is a perfect chewy snack and it is the responsibility of the kids to be sure they are not eaten, how could Scout resist that temptation- not possible. ;)

      Delete
  10. These look more than adequate to me! Nice job with the "loose covers" , the term in my English sewing books.

    Now, who puts the shoes in the basket? The LR gang or the MP?? I had endless baskets/cubbies/ hooks in our mudroom, but I found that I was re-positioning the shoes into the baskets. "sigh"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lane the LR Gang is responsible for sure and they leave them on the floor at their peril. The gang are pretty good kids and they spend lots of time here so they know Scout well ;)

      Delete
  11. The front porch and people scenery explains why you always have to be dressed at home! We linger like tramps in our back gardens.
    Love what you chose, and the casual feel works perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tabs it never fails if I step on the porch for 10 seconds wearing my pyjamas I see 3 people I know walking by.
      I'm still thinking about the at-home clothes post but I don't have an answer yet... workshop topic over on Frock Philosophy for August.

      Delete
  12. I love that shoe basket idea. We always seems to have a bizarre amount of footwear in our foyer and when the kids have friends over it's quite unmanageable! The fabrics are excellent choices and don't look slapdash at all. I love a good porch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen I think porches make a neighbourhood because all eyes are on the street.
      So many shoes!

      Delete
  13. So funny - I was doing a bit of a double take with the fabric and your new blog wallpaper thinking "what a coincidence!". Love the fabric choice, and it doesn't look slapdash from here at all. Also like your shoe solution. While shoes on top of the piano are not ideal, finding the basket for them is a good solution - I think that you just have to do these sorts of things to suit family life or chaos will reign. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi it's not ideal at all but as you say these solutions are necessary to control chaos. If I put the basket on the floor it's as though I've put out an appetizer tray for Scout so it must be on a higher surface. ;)

      Delete
  14. Hi Dani, somehow I missed this post in my feed, glad to have seen it on someone else's blogroll.
    I was quite taken aback when I saw the first photo of the piano, I thought, 'Oh no, what if the shoes are dirty?!' I think your basket solution is perfect! You did such a good job with your sewing. Where do you find all your lovely fabrics?

    Enjoy lolling around on your porch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia I know I am cleaning the piano more than usual but the basket seems to hold some of the dirt at least. My poor piano. I found this fabric at Designer Fabric Outlet on Queen, still my go-to for decorating fabrics, they have a nice selection from France, super quality linens and heavy cottons.

      Delete
  15. We have a girl named Scout, too! She's an almost twelve year old Golden Retriever named by my youngest daughter after the character in To Kill a Mockingbird. Also have had those wicker pieces from Pier 1 since 2003. I recovered the cushions with a Sunbrella fabric years ago and refreshed them with some pillows from Ballard Designs a couple of years ago. Oh and I spray painted them green a few years back. They are getting a little worse for wear but have proved a good value for twelve years of use.
    Just found your blogs and am enjoying them both.
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete