"We are what we believe we are."
C.S. Lewis

Sunday, June 7, 2015

The Slapdash Decorator Hits The Laundry Room

 I spent last week putting the finishing touches on my laundry room which has been painted and decorated in a slapdash fashion, that is by me.  I painted the beadboard walls in a neutral colour, attached some ticking fabric to the ceiling and painted the cement floor a dark blue.  Painting cement floors is a bit of a thankless task because it needs regular freshening up but it suits the utility of this room.  A can of paint goes a long way and I should have my current colour for the next five years at least.
I'm fairly happy with the way my "wrapping corner" turned out.  I have a rectangular oak table in the corner which I use for sewing, when not used for that purpose I store my sewing machine under the table leaving the surface of the table free for gift wrapping.
I wanted to create some sort of gadget that would allow the wrapping paper to hang on the wall so it wouldn't get smushed and destroyed.  I purchased some dowels at the home improvement store, wrapped some sisal twine around the ends and then hung the twine from some nails.  Voila, instant wall storage for the paper.
The hanging wrapping paper done in a slapdash fashion.
 I bought this oak peg-thing, below, in England last summer.  I've put it to use here holding gift bags, my small sewing scissors and measuring tape.  Even though I don't enjoy clutter I like to be able to see the things I use on a regular basis, out of sight out of mind as it were.
 There are some old wooden shelves in this room which are ancient and crooked but solid.  I painted them all and they provide good storage for my sewing and cleaning supplies.
 I'm really addicted to this linen water, below, and I wish I wasn't because it costs $23 a bottle.  My trick is to cut it with distilled water to make it last a little longer.
Lothantique Linen Water
I iron in this room as well as sew and it seems I always have the ironing board at the ready, below is a peek at my latest sewing project, some folded table linens I made out of a floral Provence fabric for the terrace.
Ironing board which I covered in the toile fabric used elsewhere in the room.
 There's plenty of room on the shelves to store the fabric I've purchased for my next projects.  If I didn't see it on the regular I'd forget what I was doing next of course!
Blue toile and ivory fabric for backing: a future duvet cover.

Table linens sewn up for the terrace in a Provence fabric. 
 I have an assortment of brushes and my Ultimate Stain Removal Basket for dealing with whites: Dawn detergent (1tsp) + hydrogen peroxide (2 Tbsp) + baking soda (3 Tbsp).  I learned that recipe at my Friday volunteer job at the church, that's the formula we use to soak the pure white linens used on the altar... yes it'a a Sacred formula I've shared!
Basket holding ingredients for the sacred formula: Ultimate Stain removal for whites.
 I like to store things like candle holders, flower vessels and twine collections in the laundry room.  I'm not sure why I have so much twine, it looks like a lifetime supply here:
 Baskets are of course key to the laundry area and you may remember I have a slight basket addiction.
 However when dealing with PigPen-level dirty clothes woven baskets just won't do it...
 ... my trusty red bucket is used for soaking the really messy jobs:
 Part of the reason this particular Slapdash Decorating project took me so long is that I was determined to create a pleated skirt for the laundry room sink.  There is a cheapie builders-type cupboard concealing a cabinet under the sink that I didn't enjoy looking at but I couldn't figure out how to attach the skirt to the front bit of the sink.
 I had this amazing toile fabric from France which I was planning to use to sew the sink skirt as well as a large curtain concealing the utility corner (behind which lie the rubbish bins and water softener as well as empty wine bottles).  The colour palette is cream and dark blue.
 After some slapdash measuring, sewing of pleats and hemming I realized I needed some magical velcro to attach the skirt, finding it was a trick but finally I sourced it at a huge discount warehouse-type place.
 The velcro which attaches the skirt:
 The velcro aslo attaches the utility corner curtain to a rod so that it can be removed easily for cleaning:
 The opposite wall holds all manner of hanging cleaning implements:
 I mustn't forget to credit my inspiration for the laundry room and all of the work that goes on there, that's right Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle herself:
Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle in the storybook flesh at Beatrix Potter World, Bowness-on-Windermere England.
I hope you're having an excellent weekend Darling Tooties!
xoxDani

37 comments:

  1. Dani you have created a beautiful laundry room that even I would enjoy spending time in! I will definitely try your sacred stain remover!

    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena
    Jackson Pollock

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that skirted sink. So pretty. I enjoy your decorating posts so much, Dani! I never fail to get some ideas.

    I have been using the Dawn/Hydrogen Peroxide for whites for some time. In particular, the underarms and collars that tend to discolor. Makes me wonder what is in deodorant that causes the awful yellowing. If I need extra oomph, I add the baking soda for a bit of abrasive. I wear white cotton shirts three or four times a week. This keeps them looking good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you DF! Great tip, I'm going to try the formula on white shirts, what is in deodorant, some nasty chemical no doubt. But the natural ones don't work very well... very nice to know you like these posts that's good encouragement :)

      Delete
  3. Aren't you clever! I do love a sink skirt! And a wrapping area. I would love to do that with my paper BC I have so many rolls and I should just keep it up like you have BC it's stuffed in the spare room along with other things....ps you should get orange blossom or tidewater at your local Greek or Middle eastern store BC it also works and is much less expensive but if you insist on lavender then I got nothing. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naomi I've had wrapping paper ruined so I had to find a solution! Oh my gosh, I'm going to try to find that, thank you, it doesn't have to be lavender just delicious smelling, and the $23 is outrageous! :)

      Delete
  4. Ooh I needed that secret formula awhile back...it could have saved some whites. Thank you for sharing it.
    Your laundry area looks very pretty and the fabric is gorgeous.
    I love it when things are easy to reach and organized...chaos is so stressful and you have streamlined your workspace. It must be fun wrapping and sewing and washing the clothes in your newly decorated space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hostess I always feel that if the laundry room is organized I can tackle anything else in the house, it is the core of my cleaning routine for sure.
      I hope the formula is useful for you! :)

      Delete
  5. I love your slapdash decorating of the laundry room. It looks charming--and the French fabric is just the thing to make it wonderful. You are an inspiration! I've loved seeing your house renovations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan and I'm glad you like these posts! A good fabric can change a room that's for sure. :)

      Delete
  6. of course i adore that blue toile you've used. can just picture you doing some laundry in your blue and white toile dress. so so lovely dani! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janet we do love toile don't we! :)

      Delete
  7. Slapdash Decorator - you crack me up! I am jealous of your wrapping station! The toile fabric is gorgeous.....I wish I had your crafty sense!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Dani, that's a lovely bright laundry room, with beautiful personal touches. Mine is in the basement, no windows, and pretty small. I iron upstairs in front of the tv, only way I can get through the drudgery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia I agree ironing with a movie on or something is a good way to get through it, I've done that when the pile gets out of control! :)

      Delete
  9. Oooh .... twine! I love the assorted twine holders, too! Sometimes I bring twine home from my travels as a useful souvenir - there's always something in the garden that needs to be rejigged or restrained. Your laundry room epitomizes the William Morris useful/beautiful principle, along with its thoughtful functionality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan! Oh good I'm not the only one who clearly has a thing for twine ;)

      Delete
  10. I love a toile, so clever to use in a laundry room. I'm sort of *not allowed* to get any more baskets either! But I do use them, as you do. I have all sorts of twine for different garden uses and it's compostable. No way is this a slapdash job here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lane, poor us denied the basket shopping ;) Oh well I still sneak in a new one every once in a while!

      Delete
  11. Good Morning,
    Check out the One Kings Lane feature on "Embrace the English Coast" the items featured reminded me of your style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snyders I did check it out and you're right I loved everything! Thank you for that tip. :)

      Delete
  12. Very nice job. One of the reason we love our house is because of the small laundry room that is conveniently located on the same floor as the bedrooms. As we contemplate a relocation in Europe, I am sure I will have to make do with the stack-ed up units in the bathroom. I will miss my laundry room the most...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mona indeed, my mum had a utility room but ours is a cloakroom, it would be a lovely thing to have

      Delete
    2. I think we take the separate laundry for granted in NA, it's very nice to have I have to say. Especially with dogs and Pig-Pen types! ;)

      Delete
    3. Modern homes have them here, I'm tres envious, everything tucked away out of sight.

      Delete
  13. That looks fabulous: not slapdash at all! One of my mantras is Done is better than perfect (my results are not always as successful as yours, though!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an utterly beautiful laundry room, I'll need a step by step on that skirt and I have to source the Velcro too, it would hide my washing machine and make me happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tabs do it! I can send you the velcro. :)

      Delete
  15. What a great idea to put such a pretty skirt under your sink! My kitty and dog supplies are are stored underneath my laundry room table and a pretty fabric skirt may be just the thing to hide them. I'm also going to try the secret "sacred" spot remover too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AmW try the skirt it was pretty easy, I am terrible at sewing so if I can do it... :)

      Delete
  16. I love the fabric on your sink skirt. There has to be a Pinterest recipe for linen water. There just has to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gigi you're right! I'm doing a pinterest search on that today. :)

      Delete
  17. Gosh am loving this paper - similar to your new backdrop right? So pretty and vibrant and so you as is that sink skirt - lucky sink!!

    I long for a wrapping area right now esp with the twine. Was thinking I must go to a wrapping course as you can wrap two buds and make them look a million dollars.

    ReplyDelete