A Domestic Diary

"We are what we believe we are."
C.S. Lewis

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

#aBroraForLife


One of the first items I bought from Brora many years ago,
a thick cashmere stole in a delicious frosty plum shade.
 It's been so cold and grey here this last month that I've been very happy to tuck in at home whenever possible, with good comfort foods, nice glasses of wine and chamomile tea, and lots of Brora to keep me warm.
So what better time to celebrate the #aBroraForLife campaign?  It doesn't take me long to come up with a long list of Brora treasures that fit perfectly into my wardrobe year after year, as reliable and comforting as old friends.
Love this Brora tweed coat with these Brora cashmere gloves in a fair isle.
Paired with a Drake's scarf.

Brora stoles are so gorgeous, in wool and cashmere and the most beautiful patterns.
Love the tassels on this one too.
That's a JCrew bracelet that matches it so well.

This green crewneck sweater! Or jumper I should say.
It's one of my favourites, year after year, with skirts or just jeans and boots for hiking.

Brora blues are legendary.
This turquoise scarf has had plenty of wear.
I like it with olive green.
 Some of the workhorses of my wardrobe are the Brora cropped cashmere cardigans.  I have several I have collected over the years, it's amazing how they last and last.  I wear them and my daughters wear them too.  I swear they get softer with washing and age:
A medium dusty blue with a Brora silk dress.
I bought this dress at the lovely Brora shop in Edinburgh.

A navy cardigan is a must.  I wear mine with so many things.
This cotton Liberty of London print dress is just one of them.

This shade of pink!
It makes me think of sunshine and prosecco on a terrace somewhere.
 I have a soft spot for Brora fair isle patterns, I just adore them.  When I visited the Brora mill in 2014 I took particular interest in the machines that did the fair isle knitting, I found them fascinating.
 Fair isle is a classic that never goes out of style.
My most favourite fall cardigan in a fair isle pattern with a Brora cashmere plaid stole.
 The outfit that I wear pretty much every day all winter long:
Brora cashmere beret, jacket and wrist warmers all in lovely fair isle.
I layer these cashmere pieces over basic black and under my winter coats to brighten the dull grey weight of winter. They cheer me up with their colours and they get me outside with their warmth.

How about you?  Do you have any #aBroraForLife pieces you'd like to share?  Any special favourites?  Any items that cheer you up and get you out into winter?  Keep an eye on the Brora Blog for special events and a competition that will reward a lucky Brora fan.
xxDani

20 comments:

  1. So much beautiful Brora love in this post! I have never had a Brora item, not even sure if they are sold here. But for next time I come to Canada, they would be the ticket. How I'd love that beret and a tweed coat, and one of your sweet cardigans, maybe the pink one. Well, I'll dream on :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patricia, I do have Australian friends who wear Brora in your cold months, like me they have to order it online. Visiting a shop is a lovely experience though, they are so pretty. There are shops in the UK and in New York City, I've been to the one in Edinburgh.
      We're so cold here much of the time we treasure our Brora like gold bars! ;) xx

      Delete
  2. Oh I do love their pieces. You got me hooked. They wear so well. I bought the black cashmere cable knit dress and it's a winter staple. And of course their hats and scarves are divine. I bought the constellation silk dress, which is perfect for spring with a sweater. Heaven, all of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen that black cashmere dress must be so cozy, how perfect, so easy to wear too. Happy I got you hooked... that's what friends are for ;) xx

      Delete
  3. I do love seeing your collection of Brora wool and cashmere...it is good to know that quality clothing still exists in the marketplace.
    I was lamenting to Mother about a lovely top that I purchased last year...it is a Betty Barclay striped white and black top in a decent weight fabric and I have worn it quite a bit and I wash it gently inside out but sadly it is starting to pill...perhaps it is one of the hazards of having a very minimal wardrobe?
    I feel like rushing right over to the Brora website now and having a browse.
    Sending you some sunshine from Victoria!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hostess I appreciate the sunshine! ;)
      It is very sad that so many clothes, even expensive ones, are such poor quality. I'm working on a big wardrobe overhaul project for a friend, she has loads of clothes, many designer, and I can't believe how many items we've had to throw away because they were a pilly mess. Really shocking.
      Have a browse at Brora, the cashmere pieces are certainly investments but they pay off in the long run that's for sure. I've embarked on an extensive period of not shopping for new things and I am relying heavily on my Brora items as a result. Very happy to have them. xx

      Delete
  4. I love all your Brora pieces Dani. I have a few pieces myself, thanks to your influence! But I'm afraid I'm very drab and safe - cardigans in navy and black, a grey oversize sweater, and short sleeved tops that match the two cardigans so I can wear them as a twinset. Fair Isle doesn't look right here in Australia. It really does need a snowy backdrop I think. I think all your pieces are beautiful, and you've made me think that maybe I need to break out of my black and navy knitwear rut and seek out a little colour! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi happy I could be a good not bad influence! ;) I think your pieces that you've purchased are the perfect reliable wardrobe items... very smart too to buy the matching short sleeved tops for your cardigans. I agree fair isle would certainly look funny in Australia, hadn't thought of that before! I really like wearing mine on our many grey snowy days, they certainly suit the climate and atmosphere.
      Maybe some pink would be nice to add to your collection! xx

      Delete
  5. Well, that is quite a collection you have on your hands. I think it is lovely that your pieces are cherished and worn from year to year. Well worth the investment and fits in with my believe that quality trumps quantity.

    How do you manage to keep the cashmere safe from those testy (and hungry) moths? I always die a little when I discover a little hole in a favorite scarf or sweater, ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CD, and knocking on wood here I think I just haven't had to deal with an infestation of the moths. My climate might have something to do with that, it does get very cold during winter (the deep freeze might keep moth numbers down? my theory) but I am also careful about what I bring in my house. I have friends who have had moths from thrift shop clothes, I always tell them to bring the item straight to the washing machine or the dry-cleaner if they are going to buy pre-loved clothing. I use The Laundress wool-cashmere spray (love this stuff) on items in my closet, spraying and brushing down with a clothing brush between wears. The items not in regular rotation I store in a cedar chest (my treasure chest!) that I've also regularly cleaned and sprayed with wool-cashmere spray. I use The Laundress cashmere soap for washing (on the wool cycle).
      When I have spotted the occasional moth I go into massive cleaning mode and put our cashmere that's not in the cedar chest in the freezer to kill off any potential pests.
      I guess you can tell I am very protective of our cashmere! ;) xx

      Delete
  6. I appreciate that you purchase garments that you plan to wear over and over again. The colors in your pictures are so lovely. You have coordinating down to a science!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SunnyDay that's so kind of you to say. xx

      Delete
  7. Dani, I love how you mix things so well. These Brora sweaters seem to really stay lovely and are worth the cost. I love the fair-isle ones too. Great tips on the end there about brushing them down between wearings and the spray. I will look for some. I need to add another good sweater to my closet this winter. We've had the coldest one I can remember in a long time. xoxo Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim if you're going to start having cold winters you need Brora in your life immediately! ;) That Laundress spray is so nice, I go through loads of it. It's not easy to find in Canada but should be more accessible for you, try it, it smells great too. xx

      Delete
  8. I love to visit your blog. It is one of the only places that I am sure to find lovely Liberty prints , next to beautiful Scottish cashmere! Fair isle is one of my favorite knitting traditions, too.
    Knityarns

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knit yarns thank you so much. Fair isle is so gorgeous and not easy to knit I'm sure. I'm the worst knitter ever so I have a real appreciation for the skill! xx

      Delete
  9. Dear Danielle, As I adore your sense for style and fashion, I had to visit the Brora shop in Covent Garden. I will greet spring in this lush cardigan, couldn't insert my picture so here is the site link https://www.brora.co.uk/shop/cashmere-cardigan-36813.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ulrika this makes me so happy! How gorgeous this will be on you and you will get loads of wear out of it. So pleased you visited the Covent Garden shop, that will be my first stop when we get to London. I bet it was such a pretty shop and a lovely experience.
      Hope you and your gorgeous kids are all well and having a good winter. Miss you xx

      Delete
  10. Gorgeous post, Dani! I have been missing your clothing posts...they are so soothing to me...I love the harmony of the colours and shapes you choose. Pure inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rebecca for the encouragement, I really appreciate it. I have been too busy but that should ease up soon and then I'm planning lots of clothing posts so stay tuned... hope you are well. xx

      Delete