Wednesday, November 29, 2017

One Man's Folly

 Have you read this design book about the homes of Furlow Gatewood?  It's the one I go back to constantly.  You can see it's top-of-pile in the dining room.  If you'd like to see some pictures of his crazily beautiful interiors you can check out this Pinterest board.  Which is making me think I need my own Furlow Gatewood Pinterest board! Must get started on that.

Today I'm going to be whipping up a lasagna for a friend in the neighbourhood who just lost his brother.  Then I need to find a plant of some sort suitable for a friend who just lost her father.  Hard time of year for people to deal with loss, isn't it?

I have a comfort food recipe that does not involve copious quantities of cheese like a lasagna does, and this dish is one of my favourites for lunch: Black Beans with Grits!
 I do a light saute of tomatoes (cut in half) with jalapeños and cumin, a little bit of Herbamare sea salt and a bit of lime juice.  Open up a can of black beans, rinse well and add.
On to the grits: I use these corn grits by Bob's Red Mill, they are so easy to cook and they are delicious, they have the perfect grits texture.
 I simply follow the package directions, adding in olive oil, some nutritional yeast (a great product for plant-based people as it is highly fortified with B vitamins) and some Herbamare sea salt.
Voila! A delicious and filling lunch.  This would be a lovely and easy weeknight dinner too with a big salad on the side, maybe a mixed green salad with a lemon and shallot vinaigrette topped with pumpkin seeds?  Oh and add an avocado to that, yummy.

It looks like another beautiful day here (so warm!) and I'll be going for a long walk up to the University with Scout.  My arms are killing me from yoga yesterday, must have been those downward dogs.  I think some stretching is in order!
Hope your day is a good one,
xoxDani