Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Healing Soup... and Cake

 Last evening's shenanigans really began at about 4:00 when Middle Rascal arrived home for the holidays and we popped the sparkling wine.  We had a great time wrangling up the Christmas tree (well, that was mostly the girls once Lil Rascal arrived home from school, while I observed and gave "helpful hints").  We had a fairly early dinner of latkes and then I trotted over to my Serious Book Club where we discussed the ethics of triage while yet more wine was consumed.  Needless to say today will be a day for a healing soup and in order to detoxify my liver I'm going to add a generous grating of turmeric.
The turmeric root can be seen above resting on the carrots, and it's no surprise that it's part of the ginger root family, it has that sort of look.  It has amazing health benefits: detoxifying, anti-inflammatory and the compound within turmeric, curcumin, is a powerful antioxidant.
Sounds good to me!

For this soup I peel and chop several carrots, the turmeric and a shallot before I chuck the lot into my food processor.  There it is chopped finely before being sautéed in olive oil with a bit of salt and pepper.
 I add filtered water (or vegetable broth if I have it, I usually don't, I generally let my soups make their own broth) and simmer for a few minutes before adding in a can of rinsed white beans.  Simmer a good twenty minutes or so and voila, a healing soup that goes well with a big piece of good bread.
Today can't be completely saintly, that wouldn't be much fun, and with the last presents acquired and wrapped yesterday I can now turn to the real business: baking a Christmas cake.  I'm going to try Nigella's recipe for Date and Marmalade Christmas Cake.

I hope you're having a lovely day and that you didn't wake up with a "third-glass-of-wine-headache". ;)
xoxDani