Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Saint Nicholas Day

 On the first Saint Nicholas Day I lived with my husband he woke me up in the morning to tell me that he had heard "something" in the house during the night.  Always one to panic of course I asked him what kind of "something"?
"A slamming door! And footsteps running! Little clunky footsteps!"
But of course he was also laughing so I just stared at him, trick-playing is very out of character for him.
By this time we were in the foyer of the house and I could see that the boots and shoes were scattered everywhere, and one shoe for each of us was filled with treats, books and either fruit or... potatoes?
If you've received an orange you've been very good and Saint Nicholas wants you to know you will have a splendid Christmas.  
If you've received a potato you've been middling good, really you should pull your socks up before Christmas!

Saint Nicholas always leaves the most interesting treats and books.  This year I've received a book on the Queen, full of facts and oddities.  Just in time for the season two premiere of The Crown this Friday! I also received a box of Turkish delight, a favourite.  Lil' Rascal received a humorous book about ridiculous answers students have left on exams, good for a laugh for our high school student who might be a bit anxious about her grades.  She also received some chocolates along with that red potato.

Saint Nicholas Day is celebrated in Austria, parts of Germany and Switzerland as far as I know.
Such a fun start to Christmas!
Hope your Saint Nicholas Day is a splendid one too, I bet if he visited you it's two oranges!
xoxDani