Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Cures

Yesterday my day was taken down by a migraine attack.  I woke up with big plans but I was feeling that familiar pain in the neck accompanied by nausea that sometimes leads to migraine.  As usual I tried to fight against it but these things just need to play out.  The nausea increased, the pain went into my head and the lights and smells of the world around me intensified to the point of making me want to crawl under my bed.
It was actually a mild attack, I've had some migraines that lasted days.  By about 6 or so last evening the nausea was subsiding and I was able to cook dinner (and eat a big comforting bowl of risotto, there's nothing like carbs to ease the nausea of migraine). During the day I did some stretching, minimal housework, went for a short walk and tried to cure myself with various vitamins and lots of ginger tea.
I'm obsessed with kitchen cures, I even have a Pinterest board devoted to them.  Oddly, ginger seems to be the most effective thing I've ever found to ease my migraine.  A perfect drink is fresh lemon juice, freshly grated ginger and honey, all in a ginger tea that's been steeped for a good ten minutes or so.
Fortunately I have a light work week, my main focus is preparing for our Christmas block party on Saturday (which is so easy, it's just drinks and snacks).  Today I'll go to yoga with my friends and take Scout for the longer walk she missed yesterday.  I'm behind on laundry and cleaning but I'll get caught up on that today.
Do you suffer from migraines?  Give me your best kitchen cures, I'd be so interested to know what they are!
Hope your day goes well and not sideways,
xoxDani