Thursday, December 14, 2017

That 70's Sauce

 I was born in 1970 and therefore perfectly situated to consume massive quantities of boxed macaroni and cheese, Kraft singles cheese slices (wrapped individually in plastic and tasting of plastic) and bright orange blocks of cheddar during the course of my childhood.
As a kid I loved it, but of course over the years I stopped eating processed cheese and came to associate bright orange cheese with the 1970's and processed food in general.
Now that I don't consume any dairy on our plant-based diet it's quite funny that once again I am embracing the orange cheese sauce, though of course this one is made from plants.

I found a recipe last month for a vegan broccoli and cheese soup and it has quickly become a lunchtime favourite.  The process is a bit lengthy however, and as the author of the recipes suggests, it's best to make the cheese sauce the day before.  This time I decided to double the recipe so that I could use the cheese sauce for other dishes.
Cheese sauce, doubled.
And a new batch of cashew cream.
 The sauce really does have the taste and texture of that 70's sauce, so it's amazing that the base of it is actually simply carrots and potatoes.
Boiling carrots and potatoes for the sauce.
Recipe here.
 I've used the sauce to blend with cashew cream so that I could cover a pan of roasted cauliflower with it: voila, cauliflower gratin.  Today I'm going to an event just before dinner so this afternoon I'll bake an easy pasta dish with the sauce and serve it alongside vegetables, and maybe a salad with some almonds for protein.

Wondering what Scout is up to these days in the afternoons?  Well, you can see she has her schedule sorted:

Scout having her usual daily 5 hour nap.
 She just loves to sleep in Ole Rascals room and I can hardly blame her, it is a very pretty room with wonderful afternoon light.  When we renovated our entire house the painter said to me one day "this was the worst room in the house and now it's the most beautiful".  We hired a plasterer to fix and smooth the scarred walls, pulled out the wall-to-wall carpeting, fixed the subfloor and added the oak floors, and added in wooden baseboards.  It was a transformation!

This is the room I use as my home office, there is a large table in the corner where I do my work.  As you can see I have lots of pictures of Ole Rascal (and all The Rascals) to keep me company.
I'll be working in here today in advance of a meeting this afternoon with our finance guy.

 This is a fun thing, his office is doing a toy drive so instead of bringing gifts for James and his assistant I'll be bringing toys: a wooden firetruck, a tea set, a set of textured toddler books and a rattle.
Then it's off to an event with my friend Laura, we're going to the opening of a medical cosmetic place (we know the doctor, but ruh-roh I wonder if they'll try to botox us!)
Have a wonderful day,
xoxDani