Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Year of No Shopping Update

 It's a month into my own personal Shopping Fast and I thought it might be fun to check in to see how it's going, even though it is early days.
New habits are typically the most difficult to accustom to in the first few weeks, or so the theory goes anyway.  This might be true when it comes to No Shopping, it really is just a mindset twist.  Instead of being captivated by a sale or an object, or an idea, and then trotting on down that little path, I've had to remind myself to stay on the straight and narrow.

My temptations could have been predicted with alarming accuracy!
The most jarring moment involved baskets, of course, and really I should have seen that one coming. I have long had an obsession with all manner of baskets: with handles, without, giant wicker laundry baskets... really anything constructed of wicker is very fetching to my eye.
Perhaps it's a longing leftover from the ancient days of the hunter-gatherer in my DNA:  you can never have too many baskets if your main goal in life is gathering berries and twigs for the survival of your family.
I was walking through a hardware store, picking up some cleaning supplies for the office, when I wandered down the aisle of baskets.  I spotted a couple of medium size that were painted with a blue stripe... how cute for the laundry room!  I threw them into my cart after a glance at the price (they were on sale, of course).   It took me a few minutes to realize, hey wait a second, I'm not shopping for permanent items... I put them back.

The sales were fast and furious this month and while for the most part I've stayed off the shopping websites, I couldn't help having a peek at one of my favourite online shops: the Jourdain boutique in Quebec City, which sells Saint James clothing from France.



Saint james coat in a pretty blush peach colour.
Saint James clothing is a Trigger.
 This wool coat in the pretty pale peach was on drastic sale, in my size, and of course it is not only lovely and warm, it was made in France.
When it is January in Canada one feels that one can never have too many coats... I likely would have bought this if I hadn't been on a No Shopping Year.
I quickly clicked away from the website and moved on!

I realize that another Shopping Trigger for me, and perhaps for many people, is an upcoming vacation.
My friends and I spent an evening this past month planning a short spring vacation to New Orleans.  We'll be flying down for a few nights to stay in a beautiful old hotel in the French Quarter, with plans to sit by the pool, go out to restaurants, listen to Jazz, visit the Audubon Park... all great outfit opportunities!

Fortunately for the health of my No Shopping Year I store my out-of-season clothes in the large closet in Ole Rascal's room.  This means that nothing is hidden away, and at any time I can open the door and have a look at all of my options.
In anticipation of vacations I would typically buy a couple of things to round out a "Colour Story" that I'm planning, something I've always found really enjoyable.  This year I'll be organizing my packing up for holidays without buying anything new... no less fun, it's just a mindset twist.

Spring and summer storage.
Planning a holiday Colour Story is a Shopping Trigger.
I've decided on a few rules for myself around this No Shopping Year.  The most important one is to not buy any permanent items for myself or for my house.  That's fairly straightforward.  I'll be curious to see if I find there's something I really feel I "need".  If I do spot a supposed "need" I'm going to write it down on a list I'm keeping in my planner, and I'll give myself the option to buy that item at the end of the year.
This is where it gets sort of exciting (to me at least):  I'm planning to do this for two years, with a break at the end of 2018 to purchase items on the "need" list.  I'll give myself an opportunity in the last week of December to buy items on the list, and I wonder if I'll still consider those list items so very necessary?
I often think about what it was like for women decades ago, when they maybe only went shopping for themselves and for household items once or twice a year?   I guess this exercise will give me a clue as to what that was like!

The other rules involve items I am still buying, and these items are all of the fleeting, non-permanent variety: food and booze, cleaning supplies, candles, flowers, and electronic books for my Kindle (if I can't get something at the library).

So far I'm finding it interesting to step away from aspects of consumerism and to observe my own patterns.  I'm also enjoying the fact that I'm able to really ramp up my savings program, perhaps the biggest benefit of No Shopping.
I was thinking of doing these No Shopping Updates at the end of each month, what do you think?  I would find it interesting to discuss temptations, and to observe whether or not I've put anything on the "need" list.
Any thoughts are appreciated!
Have a lovely day,
xoxDani