Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Winter Gardens at Langdon Hall

 The gardens at Langdon Hall were designed within the British tradition and have a sprawling, Victorian feel.  On our recent getaway we took a tour around the grounds even though the morning was icy, overcast and cold.

We normally tuck right in to the hotel in the winter months (they do cozy very well) but somehow, despite the cold, the gardens still looked enchanting, especially the woods beyond.
 This post is quite picture heavy, and I have to tell you I'm still kicking myself for forgetting my real camera at home.  I hope you can still get a feeling for the look of these gardens in winter... and for the next seasons that lie in wait (thanks to a little adventurous side trip into the greenhouses).

The weather vane at the peak of the stable lofts is magnificent, we stayed in one of the lofts last summer and the views over the property are beautiful.
Weather vane.

Approaching the woods.

Garden arbour.

One of the greenhouses.
 The opposite side of the greenhouse, facing the Cloister, is in fact a beautiful old stone wall:

 Here is the a view of the Cloister from the greenhouse, this is where we stayed on this trip.  The rooms in this building are large and private, with wood-burning fireplaces and beautiful bathrooms.  Perfect for a winter getaway.
The Cloister, view from the greenhouses.
There's something about the bareness of the garden in the winter, it's quite beautiful.

Furious looking Roman god type face on the interior wall.
The greenhouse is filled with all of the materials used by the hotel in spring and summer.  I have to say I recognized some of the plants and containers from our visits in the warmer months.
 The plants were thriving, it's always so thrilling to enter a warm, humid greenhouse on an icy winter morning.



In flower.


I recognized the ferns from the summer.

Lots of rosemary for the kitchen. 
 Here, below, we have MrBP having a proper look around.
I'll tell you how it goes on an occasion such as this:
ME:  "We're not allowed in here, it's for hotel employees only."
MrBP:  "Nah, there are no such rules! If there are I'm sure they could be interpreted a number of different ways."
MrBP, interpreter of law.
 While I may not have the nerve to just barrel through the behind-the-scenes buildings on my own, I do appreciate it.  Even if these buildings aren't meant for guests, everything just looks so charming and organized.
 This red watering can was my favourite!
 Eventually we left the greenhouses and headed for the woods to do a little walk around, passing the pool house and more gardens along the way.



 A last look at the woods before heading back to the Cloister:
We'll be visiting Langdon Hall again in late April and I'm so looking forward to taking pictures of the gardens in early spring.  It might be early for planting but everything should look green and promising.
xoxDani