Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Winter Getaway Colour Story

 Before the Rascal Reunion began this past weekend we took a little twenty-four hour getaway to one of our favourite spots close to home : Langdon Hall.

I'll have some pictures for you of the grounds of Langdon Hall tomorrow, but for now I thought I'd share my packing-up colour story.

The temperature hovered around zero which by this time of year feels mild to us.  This was perfect because I was able to wear one of my favourite wool skirt suits to the hotel without loads of winter layers weighing me down.
When we go to Langdon Hall we try to arrive early enough so that we can have lunch in Wilks' Bar.  A skirt suit is the perfect outfit for this snug, cozy bar.

This Brooks Brothers suit is a few years old, and while I can't remember the exact year I bought it I know it was before Zac Posen took over designing women's wear at Brooks.  It's likely from 2013-2014.
I have a short sleeved Brora jumper that is perfect under the suit.  I cannot stand to wear long sleeves under a jacket like this: too much bunching.
The Brora jumper is also the perfect match to the scarf MrBP gave to me for Christmas, excellent because I really wanted to wear it on this Valentine's week getaway.

I have to show you the most beautiful detail on the jacket: the back has this pleated detail that is so charming.  It's actually a bit of tailoring genius, it allows the jacket to sit properly at the low back, where it meets the top of the skirt.
The back of the jacket.
 I really like using a scarf for pattern and colour because if I get tired of wearing it while I'm out I can always wrap it around my handbag.
Smythson Bag.
Hermes scarf.
 Here we have an amateur photo of my outfit in the wearing:
 I wore my recently refurbished black leather boots which have a quilted detail that echoes the checks of the navy wool:
 How about for dinner in the evening?  That was easy, my favourite winter dress.  This colour story really revolved around this dress, I knew I'd want to wear it for our late dinner in the dining room.  It's a wrap dress, and so comfortable.  It has pockets for lipstick, perfect because then I don't even have to bring my handbag.  The dress also pairs well with my tartan wool ruana from Scotland, which I really like to wear in the evening in place of a coat.
It continues the colour story of black with navy checks:
Eileen Fisher black velvet wrap dress.
Black Watch Modern Tartan ruana from Scotland.
 For the following morning I brought along a sportier outfit: my usual Theory Ponte pants, a black cashmere Brora turtleneck, and my Dale of Norway quilted vest.  You can see the boots and the vest are made for each other:
Dale of Norway wool vest with quilted detail.
La Canadienne quilted leather boots.
It was actually quite chilly in the morning when we decided to have a walk around the beautiful grounds, so I wore my tartan ruana over this black outfit.

I really had fun with this colour story, it's such a good method to planning a weekend away or a longer vacation.  I think I might do a couple of trial spring colour stories, then maybe you can help me with my packing up for our New Orleans vacation this spring?
Hope you have a good day today,
xoxDani
SaveSave