Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Ski Day

 I prefer to cross country ski, much like this fellow I snapped a picture of in the park on Christmas Day.
Of course the Rascals and MrBP are all committed downhill skiers, and today will see them make the trek a couple of hours north to spend the day going up chairlifts before barreling down the hills... and then repeating that until they get bored!
I'll have the day at home to do as I please, which will likely involve sorting some closets and cupboards, in between some regular housework and cooking.
I'll definitely be cooking a big meal we can all have together when everyone gets home this evening.
I'm not sure what that will be quite yet but I do have a simple pasta recipe to share that I put together on the 23rd.  We had been out at a family lunch at the golf club so I knew something simple would suit us just fine.  Though simple, the combination of roasted tomatoes, green beans and almonds is classic for a reason, it all goes so well together.  
Tomatoes roasted with olive oil and salt.
 There's nothing tricky about it though it does involve roasting and toasting different elements, the tomatoes for 25 minutes or so, and the sliced almonds for much less time, about 5 minutes, just enough to get them a bit toasty without any burning.
 I cooked up two boxes of bow-tie pasta which was perfect as it meant we had leftovers in the fridge (always a good thing with the Rascals around).
I cooked the green beans in a large dutch oven with some garlic and a cup of white wine before adding in the tomatoes.  The cooked pasta was stirred through the vegetables and then the whole lot was covered in the toasted almonds.
Voila, a super easy pasta dinner in some Christmas colours!
The Rascals added large amounts of grated Parmigiana Reggiano to theirs.
Off to start the laundry up, it will be whirring nearly all day I'm sure.
Have a lovely day today,
xoxDani